Head Start: your first step to success
What’s the next step to becoming a GRIZZLY? Attend our optional pre-orientation event for the chance to visit your campus ahead of time, engage with many campus services, ask any questions you have, and complete your to-do list prior to orientation day! Here are some of the highlights of the day:
- Learn about Georgian services and supports such as Academic Success, Counselling Services, Accessibility Services, Campus Safety, the Georgian College Students’ Association (GCSA) and more!
- Learn to navigate the student portal, Banner, Blackboard and your student email
- Talk about career and co-op opportunities, as well as ask any questions about OSAP or bursaries
- Go on an optional campus tour
- Purchase a parking pass
- Pick up your Universal Bus Pass (for full-time Barrie students)
- Activate your Athletics and Fitness Centre membership and complete the PAR-Q form
- Get your Georgian College ONEcard (student card)
- Order your books
- Meet other students!
Summer 2020 Head Start registration coming soon!
On the first day of the semester, the Georgian community comes together to welcome you to your new academic semester and beginning of your journey to experience Georgian! This is your opportunity to start the school year off right.
We highly encourage you to join us and get to know Georgian College!
Orientation day is your opportunity to meet some great people including your college president and CEO, your program coordinator, as well as some new friends! This is the day where you get to learn about your new academic environment, along with all the incredible support and services offered, in addition to all the awesome ways to get involved on campus.
Summer 2020 Orientation schedules coming soon!
Maximize your first year experience
The best way to maximize your first year experience is to immerse yourself into everything Georgian has to offer! We have a variety of student clubs, volunteer opportunities and workshops available to students. Here are a few ways to get involved:
- Participate in Head Start and Orientation Day to ensure you start off your experience right!
- Peer Mentor Program – Apply for a Peer Mentor and connect with an upper-year student to support you through your transition to Georgian
- Join a club – Check out the variety of clubs offered at Orientation and during Clubs Week
- Contribute to your community as a volunteer – register on Tandempark to see upcoming volunteer opportunities (Barrie only)
- Try out for a sports team – We have both varsity and intramural team to be apart of!
- Be a changemaker! – Georgian College’s Centre for Changemaking and Social Innovation provides experiential learning opportunities, skill development, teamwork and networking that will inspire you to influence social change in your community.
Peer Mentors: what we do!
- Are students in their second semester or later
- Help first year and new students transition to college life and campus community
- Support the adjustment to life at Georgian
- Help create a sense of belonging and community engagement (events and activities)
- Promote and support student well-being and the practice of self-care
Mentees (first year/new students)
As a mentee (someone who is being mentored), you will be provided with a student contact to assist you with navigating the campus and its many services. Your mentor will provide you with tips to help you succeed and feel comfortable in your new learning environment.
Do you have an interest to get connected with other students?
Are you a natural leader?
As a peer mentor, you can make a positive and memorable impact in a new student’s Georgian experience. All mentors will receive further training, resources, and support to help build meaningful connections with their mentees.
Common Questions (FAQs)
Of course! Many of our campus partners come out to celebrate and welcome you to Georgian! There are planned events and activities, free food, opportunities to win swag and more. We want to ensure you experience everything Georgian has to offer!
Yes! On the first day of school, you will have the opportunity to meet your program coordinator, review program and student expectations, as well as ask any questions you have regarding your academic choices. Each program will have an academic program session to participate in. More information will be provided in your campus orientation schedule coming soon.
Georgian values excellence, community engagement, integrity, inclusion, and sustainability. As a new student in our community, it is expected that you represent these values in all aspects of your student journey.
Definitely! Georgian College is committed to improving access to all college premises, facilities and services at all campuses. If you have any questions or concerns regarding accessibility while attending our orientation programming or student events, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Interested in joining the Orientation team?
Get involved in our Student Welcoming and Activities Team (SWAT)! We are looking for energetic, inclusive and passionate student volunteers to welcome and embrace our new students! Under the guidance of the Orientation Lead, you will assist with events such as, Head Start, International Orientation, and Orientation Day!
Benefits for you:
- Develop new skills in leadership, communication, mentoring, professionalism and relationship building
- Receive a reference letter
- Learn more about Georgian resources
- Create new social connections
- Receive Co-Curricular Record credit
- Free Orientation t-shirt and pizza lunch
- Appreciation gift (15 plus hours)
For more information, please email email@example.com
Please note, all volunteers must be in second semester or more.