Orientation and transition programs
Welcome to Georgian! We’re very happy to have you join the Georgian family and begin your studies. Whether you’re studying in person, remotely, or a combination of the two, it’s going to be a great year! Orientation and transition programming aim to help you successfully transition and prepare you for your college experience.
Interested in seeing what is planned for this fall? Check out the student portal for all things orientation!
Head Start is your first step to success! This is part of our pre-Orientation programming where you are able to connect and engage with Georgian services, supports and resources to ensure your success.
Want to view the full schedule details? Check out the student portal for links to all of our sessions, descriptions for what to expect throughout Head Start and more!
- Connect with your peers and make new friends
- Discover Registrar’s Office supports and services
- Learn about Blackboard, student portal and MyPath systems navigation and supports
- Meet your Georgian College Students’ Association (GCSA)
- Meet our awesome peer mentors!
- Explore international supports and services
- Find out how Georgian supports your mental health and well-being
- Learn about our counselling and accessibility supports
- Learn about student co-op experiences
- Find out more about changemaking at Georgian
- And so much more!
Following your Head Start experience, we invite you to participate in your Academic Orientation! Academic Orientation is one of the best opportunities to receive your official first welcome you to Georgian College and introduce you to your academic program! You will meet your dean, program co-ordinator, faculty, classmates, and learn all about your program and student expectations.
Want details about your program-specific experience? Check out the schedules below.
Our online Orientation pages on the student portal are available now! These pages include information about supports and services, outline our Head Start and Orientation schedule, the New Student Checklist, as well as student life opportunities and activities. There’s also a section dedicated to international students about topics such as immigration, housing, insurance and cultural adjustment. Check out our Orientation pages on the student portal.
The Orientation team has also built a First Year Experience (FYE) Blackboard module to help you succeed as a new student! You will use Blackboard throughout your academic journey and it’s important that you become familiar with this online learning system. After you complete your course registration, you’ll see the FYE module in Blackboard. Through the FYE module, you’ll learn tips and tricks on how to ace your courses, get involved in the Georgian community, and thrive as a new student. This quick module is your roadmap to first-year success. Visit the FYE module.
Peer Mentors: What we do!
Peer Mentors are upper-year Georgian students who play a pivotal role in building community, a sense of belonging and connection at Georgian, and empower students to flourish through their first-year experience at college and beyond. Now more than ever, students are connecting with their peers for support, highlighting the incredible importance of building a strong foundation and sense of virtual community among students early in their academic journey.
Peer Mentors are Georgian students who:
- foster community and a sense of belonging on campus
- build trusting and supportive relationships
- facilitate peer-to-peer discussion and connection
- role model student behaviour and integrity
- provide referrals and resources for students
- promote leadership and professional development opportunities
What our mentors and mentees have to say about the program
Want a Peer Mentor? Apply to be a mentee!
As a mentee (first-year or new student), you will be matched with one of our awesome mentors who will support you through your transition to college, inform you of all the great services and supports Georgian has to offer, and provide opportunities for you to connect with other peers!
Get involved: Maximize your first-year experience
The best way to maximize your first-year experience is to immerse yourself into everything Georgian has to offer! We have a variety of student clubs, volunteer opportunities and workshops available to students. Here are a few ways to get involved:
- Participate in Head Start, Academic Orientation and day one of classes to ensure you start off your experience right!
- Complete the FYE Module to get familiar with Georgian supports and services while also gaining a chance to win great prizes.
- Peer Mentor program – Apply for a peer mentor and connect with an upper-year student to support you through your transition to Georgian.
- Join a club – Check out the variety of clubs offered at Orientation and during Clubs Week.
- Contribute to your community as a volunteer – Register on Tandempark to see upcoming volunteer opportunities (Barrie Campus only).
- Be a changemaker! – Georgian’s Centre for Changemaking and Social Innovation (CCSI) provides experiential learning opportunities, skill development, teamwork and networking that will inspire you to influence social change in your community.
Common questions (FAQs)
Of course! Many of our campus partners come out to celebrate and welcome you to Georgian! There are events and activities planned, as well as opportunities to win swag and more. We want to ensure you experience everything Georgian has to offer!
Yes! Prior to your first day of classes, you will have the opportunity to meet your program co-ordinator, review program and student expectations, as well as ask any questions you have regarding your academic choices.
Each program will have an academic program session to participate in. More information will be provided in your campus orientation schedule (released a few weeks before the start of the semester).
There are many amazing support options Georgian has to offer including various academic resources and social/emotional supports and services. Check out our Guide for New Students for more details!
You can also follow many of our different Georgian social media accounts, check out the graphic below for more information.
Georgian values excellence, community engagement, integrity, inclusion and sustainability. As a new student in our community, it is expected that you represent these values in all aspects of your student journey.
Definitely! Georgian College is committed to improving access to all college premises, facilities and services at all campuses. If you have any questions or concerns regarding accessibility while attending our orientation programming or student events, please email [email protected].
All students are able to access their student systems and orientation resources after they have confirmed their offer to a Georgian program.
- Full time students: You will have received a confirmation letter or letter of acceptance identifying your login details and default password. These login details will work for all of you student systems.
- Part-time students: who have registered for individual courses through Continuing Education: You will receive this initial password to the preferred email provided after completing Georgian’s student number application.
Email: Email the Orientation team
Phone: 705.728.1968 ext. 1600
Location: Room K207