What’s the next step to becoming a GRIZZLY? Attend our Get Connected pre-orientation event for the chance to visit your campus ahead of time, engage with many campus services, ask any questions you have, and complete your To-Do list prior to Orientation Day! Here are some of the highlights of the day:
- Learn about Georgian services and supports such as Academic Success, Counselling Services, Accessibility Services, Campus Safety, Georgian College Student Association, Peer Mentors, and more!
- Learn to navigate the student portal, Banner, Blackboard and your student email
- Talk about Career and Co-op opportunities, as well as ask any questions about OSAP or bursaries
- Go on an optional campus tour
- Purchase a parking pass
- Pick up your Universal Bus Pass (for full-time Barrie students)
- Activate your fitness centre membership and complete the PAR-Q form
- Get your Georgian College ONEcard (student card)
- Order your books
- Meet other students!
Registration for Fall 2019 (September start) Get Connected is now open!
Orientation is our opportunity to welcome you to Georgian College, and your opportunity to start your academic career off right! Come join us and get to know Georgian College!
Reasons to come to Orientation
Meet new friends: Connect with students in your program, college, locally and from far away!
Get to know your faculty: This is a chance for you to meet our President and CEO and introduce yourself to your Dean, Associate Dean, Program Coordinator and Professors!
Learn about student services: Find out more about developing study skills, building a resume, booking an appointment with Counselling or Accessibility Services, attending an athletics workout class, signing up for a club or registering to be matched with a Peer Mentor!
Get involved: Student clubs, on-campus jobs and volunteer opportunities are waiting for people just like you!
Ease your transition to College life: Students who attend Orientation feel more connected and comfortable on campus, which can influence the rest of your Georgian experience. Take this opportunity to connect with us right from the start!
Interested in joining the Orientation team?
Get involved in our Student Welcoming and Activities Team (SWAT)! We are looking for energetic, inclusive and passionate student volunteers to welcome and embrace our new students! Under the guidance of the Orientation Lead, you will assist with events such as, Get Connected, International Orientation, and Orientation Day!
Benefits for you:
- Develop new skills in leadership, communication, mentoring, professionalism and relationship building
- Receive a reference letter
- Learn more about Georgian resources
- Create new social connections
- Receive Co-Curricular Record credit
- Free Orientation t-shirt and pizza lunch
- Appreciation gift (15 plus hours)
For more information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note, all volunteers must be in second semester or more.
Peer mentors are upper-year students who help first-year students transition to college life and the community. Students from all campuses can participate.
I would like to have a peer mentor
As a mentee (someone who is being mentored), you will know that there is someone there to assist you with navigating the campus and its various services. Your mentor will provide you with tips to help you succeed in your new learning environment. Please fill out the application. After it is accepted, you will be contacted by email about the next steps.
I would like to be a peer mentor
Do you have a passion to get involved and about an hour a week to spare? As a peer mentor, you can make a positive impact in a new student’s Georgian experience. You will receive training for this role. Please fill out the application on the student portal. After it is accepted, you will be contacted by email about the next steps.