Orientation and transition programs
Welcome to Georgian! We’re very happy to have you join the Georgian family and begin your studies. Whether you’re studying remotely or a combination of in-person and remote learning, it’s going to be a great year! Our Orientation and transition programming aims to help you successfully transition and prepare you for your college experience.
We know the semester will look a bit different due to the COVID-19 pandemic, but we’re busy planning a fun, engaging and informative virtual orientation schedule for you to participate in!
We are updating our online Orientation pages on the student portal that includes information about supports and services, outlines our Head Start and Orientation schedule, the New Student Checklist, as well as virtual student life opportunities and activities. There is also a section dedicated to our international students about topics such as immigration, housing, insurance and cultural adjustment.
We are also updating our New Student Orientation Blackboard shell! You will use Blackboard throughout your academic journey and it is important that you become familiar with this online learning system. This orientation module has plenty of great tips, tricks and resources to prepare for your Georgian experience.
Both of these online experiences will go live in August. All new students will receive orientation update emails via their Georgian student email account – stay tuned!
*Note: You will need your student login to participate.
- Full-time students who have confirmed an offer to a Georgian program: You will have received a confirmation letter or letter of acceptance identifying the login and default password for all student systems.
- Part-time students who have registered for individual courses through Continuing Education: You will receive this initial password to the preferred email provided after completing Georgian’s student number application.
- If you have forgotten your login or password, please reset your password using the password management service or contact the IT service desk at firstname.lastname@example.org or 705.728.1968, ext. 1732.
Head Start is our pre-Academic Orientation programming where you can connect and engage with Georgian services, supports and resources to ensure you are successful. You can ask questions you have prior to your first day!
Our Head Start schedule for the winter 2022 semester will be posted in December. Missed fall 2021 Head Start? No problem! Check out our recorded sessions in the student portal.
- Discover Registrar’s Office supports and services
- Learn about Blackboard, student portal and MyPath systems navigation and supports
- Meet your Georgian College Students’ Association (GCSA)
- Meet our awesome Peer Mentors!
- Explore international supports and services
- Find out how Georgian supports your mental health and well-being
- Learn about our counselling and accessibility supports
- Learn about student co-op experiences
- Find out more about changemaking at Georgian
- And so much more!
Academic Orientation is our opportunity to welcome you to Georgian College and introduce you to your academic program! You will meet your dean, program co-ordinator, faculty, classmates, and learn all about your program and student expectations.
Winter 2022 Academic Orientation details will be posted in December.
Peer Mentors: What we do!
Our Peer Mentors are upper-year Georgian students who play a pivotal role in building community, a sense of belonging and connection at Georgian, and empower students to flourish through their first-year experience at college and beyond. Now more than ever, students are connecting with their peers for support, highlighting the incredible importance of building a strong foundation and sense of virtual community among students early in their academic journey.
Peer Mentors are Georgian students who:
- foster community and a sense of belonging on campus
- build trusting and supportive relationships
- facilitate peer-to-peer discussion and connection
- role model student behaviour and integrity
- provide referrals and resources for students
- promote leadership and professional development opportunities
What our mentors and mentees have to say about the program
Want a Peer Mentor? Apply as a mentee!
As a mentee (first-year or new student), you will be matched with one of our awesome mentors who will support you through your transition to college, inform you of all the great services and supports Georgian has to offer, and provide opportunities for you to connect with other peers!
Get involved: Maximize your first-year experience
The best way to maximize your first-year experience is to immerse yourself into everything Georgian has to offer! We have a variety of student clubs, volunteer opportunities and workshops available to students. Here are a few ways to get involved:
- Participate in Head Start and Orientation Day to ensure you start off your experience right!
- Peer Mentor program – Apply for a Peer Mentor and connect with an upper-year student to support you through your transition to Georgian.
- Join a club – Check out the variety of clubs offered at Orientation and during Clubs Week.
- Contribute to your community as a volunteer – Register on Tandempark to see upcoming volunteer opportunities (Barrie Campus only).
- Be a changemaker! – Georgian’s Centre for Changemaking and Social Innovation provides experiential learning opportunities, skill development, teamwork and networking that will inspire you to influence social change in your community.
Common questions (FAQs)
Of course! Many of our campus partners come out to celebrate and welcome you to Georgian! There are planned events and activities, opportunities to win swag and more. We want to ensure you experience everything Georgian has to offer!
Yes! On the first day of school, you will have the opportunity to meet your program co-ordinator, review program and student expectations, as well as ask any questions you have regarding your academic choices. Each program will have an academic program session to participate in. More information will be provided in your campus orientation schedule (released a few weeks before the start of the semester).
There are many amazing support options Georgian has to offer including various academic resources and social/emotional supports and services. Check out our Guide for New Students for more details!
Georgian values excellence, community engagement, integrity, inclusion and sustainability. As a new student in our community, it is expected that you represent these values in all aspects of your student journey.
Definitely! Georgian College is committed to improving access to all college premises, facilities and services at all campuses. If you have any questions or concerns regarding accessibility while attending our orientation programming or student events, please email email@example.com.
Phone: 705.728.1968 ext. 1920
Location: Room K207