About the Georgian College Board of Governors
The Georgian College Board of Governors consists of 12 members, together with the President and CEO of the college, one student, one faculty member, one support staff member and one administrative staff member. One-third of its membership is appointed through the Public Sector Appointment process and two-thirds is appointed directly by the Georgian College Board of Governors.
The Board of Governors is a corporation. In a legal sense, it is the college. The board is a Schedule III Agency of the Government of Ontario and is accountable through the Minister of Colleges and Universities to the people of Ontario.
In general, a college board has the power to govern the college and in law, is responsible for the college’s activities. However, the college administration, which derives its authority from the board and is accountable to the board, manages the day-to-day activities of the college.
- Set the college vision, strategic directions, and overall goals and outcomes within the context of the appropriate laws, government policy, and local need
- Establish and implement the college’s purpose and mission
- Contribute to the development and evaluation of the college Strategic Plan, Annual Report and Business Plan
- Approve the college’s annual business plan and budget
- Establish governance structures to enable the achievement of expected institutional outcomes with clear lines of communication and internal accountability
- Contribute to the development of Board policies
- Participate on Board committees and/or task forces and at a variety of college functions (for example, awards banquets, convocations), on a volunteer basis, as requested by the Board
- Provide a link between the college and the community, and confirm and expand the college’s identity within the community
- Advocate on behalf of the college in its efforts to secure resources
- Hire the President and CEO, delegate to the President and CEO accountability for the performance and operation of the college, and evaluate the President and CEO’s performance
- Provide continuity for the governance and management of the college’s affairs
- Ensure that the college is effectively and efficiently managed
- Attend Board meetings
- Be informed on all Board matters, and be prepared to make decisions based on that information
- Set the rate of progress for the college to undertake to achieve its purpose and mission
- Ensure that appropriate corrective action is taken where expected outcomes or quality of performance is not being achieved
- Collectively assess the effectiveness of the Board with respect to governance and the attainment of corporate goals and outcomes on a regular basis
- Specify how the Board conceives, carries out, monitors and measures its own tasks
- Evaluate the effectiveness of individual governors at the time of their reappointment
Georgian College mission statement
Meet the board
2021-2022 Georgian College Board of Governors
See below for a list of board members (to be updated in fall 2022), or view as a PDF.
Seeking new recruits *HIDDEN SECTION*
Interested in joining the Board of Governors?
Georgian seeks applications from persons interested in assisting the college’s Board of Governors to achieve its mission, “To inspire innovation, transform lives and connect communities through the power of education.” There are two positions available with a term to commence Sept. 1, 2022. Interviews for the positions will take place in March/April 2022. The positions consist of a three-year term with eligibility for a second term of three years.
The appointment is voluntary. To be eligible to serve on the Board, applicants must have an understanding of, and interest in, education and training issues and linkages to the labour market, good interpersonal and communication skills, and should have demonstrated service and leadership in their place of employment, and/or through community involvement.
Reports, plans, policies and procedures
- Georgian College consolidated financial statements
(year ended March 31, 2022)
Awards of Distinction
About the Board of Governors Awards of Distinction
Help celebrate Georgian faculty, staff, alumni and community partners who have made an outstanding contribution to the college and who demonstrate an ongoing commitment to excellence.
List of awards
Submit a nomination
The Board of Governors accepts nominations from governors of the college, employees and students. Read some helpful tips.
Send a completed nomination form to [email protected].
Deadline: Second Friday in February.
The awards will be presented by the Board of Governors at a special ceremony and/or at an appropriate convocation or ceremony.
Please note: We no longer require you to include a signature page with your submission.
A committee – comprised of the board executive, internal governors and other senior staff – will select honourees for the above awards and make recommendations to the full Board of Governors.
Office of the Board of Governors
One Georgian Dr., Room H103
Barrie, ON L4M 3X9
Phone: 705.728.1968, ext. 1252
Email: [email protected]