Causes to Support
Georgian College is asking women to empower other women by joining together to raise funds for awards and scholarships for female students in financial need. Donors can take part in this campaign with a contribution of $50 a month for five years, or a total donation of $3,000.
Fund 50 Campaign
We’re asking 50 entrepreneurial business professionals to support burgeoning entrepreneurs with networking events, pitch competitions, awards, seed funds and social events. Donors can take part in the campaign with a contribution of $50 per month for 50 months, for a total donation of $2,500.
Awards and Scholarships
Awards and scholarships are vital to student success. Whether students are entering college right out of high school, are in their last year of study or have returned to school for a second career, the benefits of financial assistance create new opportunities for all types of learners.
At Georgian, awards and scholarships reward students for their academic achievement, practical skills and contributions to their community, or address their financial need. Our donors have made it possible for us to disburse more than 900 awards annually, with a combined value of approximately $700,000. There is always an opportunity to help even more students though, as they prepare to become the region’s future workforce. There are several ways to make a contribution to awards and scholarships:
Endowed awards and scholarships
Support future generations of students with an endowed scholarship. They are a great way to give in perpetuity as the principal amount remains intact and the interest provides the funding for the annual award. The minimum amount for an endowed scholarship is $12,500. The donor can decide the criteria for the scholarship as well as name it.
The President’s Pay it Forward endowment fund
This is an emergency fund for current students in financial difficulty due to unforeseen circumstances, allowing those in good academic standing to continue or complete their studies. The philosophy of this scholarship is that recipients, when it’s possible, ‘pay it forward’ by lending their own personal support to a Georgian student. Donations of any amount can be contributed to this endowment.
Annual awards and scholarships
Donors have the opportunity to establish a named award or scholarship with a minimum donation of $1,000.
Bursaries are based on financial need and provide emergency funding to students facing financial challenges. Donors have the opportunity to establish a named bursury with a minimum donation of $1,000.
A charitable tax receipt will be provided for all donations with a value of $20 or more. For more information about contributing to awards and scholarships, please contact our Awards Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org or 705.728.1968, ext. 1211. Read about the hundreds of awards and scholarships already available to students, and see photos from award ceremonies.
Give where you live– family matters is Georgian College’s family fundraising campaign for staff, students, alumni, volunteers and retirees. The amount of your gift is not as important as your participation. No contribution is too small to make a positive impact.
Funds raised will directly support four key areas to help students facing financial challenges while attending college. You can designate your contributions to one or several of the following areas:
Student survival gift
- Georgian Food Locker – to assist students who are struggling to afford groceries
- Technology – to replace or purchase computers, books and other items due to loss, theft or lack of funds
Student achievement gift
- varsity athletes – to provide support for students who would like to participate in varsity athletics but can’t afford the associated costs, such as travel from other campuses or personal expenses for out-of-town trips
- awards and scholarships – to provide financial support and recognition to students from a variety of programs
Student emergency fund
- housing – to support students with affordable housing and/or emergency short-term housing needs
- transportation and travel – to provide support to student struggling to afford transportation costs, including emergency travel
- child care – to provide support to students having difficulty affording child care expenses while attending classes and/or who require short-term emergency child care support for unexpected changes in child care provision or family emergencies
Student access and opportunity gift
- innovative pilot project designed to encourage the postsecondary goals of non-college-bound individuals by providing them with the opportunity to take a Georgian College course at no cost