Think you can change the world? We do too.
At Georgian, we believe small acts can lead to big change. Grassroots efforts can turn into largescale movements. Ideas can spark innovations that make our communities and planet greener, healthier, safer, stronger and more inclusive.
Changemaking is part of Georgian’s DNA – we’re known for it – and it’s one of the reasons why we’re the only college in Canada designated a changemaker college by Ashoka U. This is the leading designation for social innovation in higher education. Our students, faculty, staff and partners are proof that with drive, inspiration and support, anyone can make a positive difference.
“Social innovation skills focus on developing empathy, creativity, collaboration, and problem-solving and prepare students to add value in the world, regardless of whether they innovate within existing organizations or start their own organization.”
Co-founder and Executive Director of Ashoka U
Information for students
Georgian offers many opportunities for you to become a changemaker. In and out of the classroom, meet like-minded people who care about improving our communities – one project, one idea, one conversation at a time.
Engage with Georgian’s changemaking hubs
- Solve technical challenges through research with industry partners.
- Work with non-profits to respond to complex community issues.
- Hone your leadership skills and have a voice in student government.
- Launch a business or social enterprise.
- Get involved in community projects that support Truth and Reconciliation.
Add something extra to your resumé
We’d love to hear what you get up to. Share your stories on social media using the hashtags #ExperienceGeorgian, #changemakerGC and #MillionsofChangemakers
Take a changemaking course
All Georgian courses include an entrepreneurial or social entrepreneurial outcome and an experiential learning component. You’ll be empowered to put your skills to the test on real-world assignments and projects that have a meaningful impact.
We also offer changemaking courses you can take any time. For example:
- GNED1000 – Environmental Concerns
- GNED1002 – The Social Impact of Technology
- GNED1010 – Ojibway Language and Culture 1
- GNED1011 – Developing Leadership
- GNED1030 – Same-Sex Issues
- GNED1041 – Ethics and Issues
- GNED1043 – Exploring Culture
- GNED1056 – Entrepreneurial Explorations
- GNED1071 – Indigenous Peoples of Canada
- GNED1073 – Inventions That Changed/World
- GNED1074 – Social Change/Entrepreneurship
- GNED2032 – Human Rights
- GNED2057 – Contemporary Social Issues
- GNED2070 – Globalization
- GNED2071 – Nonprofits in Action
- GNED2072 – Ecological Citizenship
Become a partner
Together, we can make a difference. Georgian students and faculty can help you find solutions to issues that impact the community, your business or organization.
Collaborate with us to build mutually beneficial partnerships and empower our students to use their education, skills and talents for social good.
Why partner with Georgian?
- You want to change the world!
- Connect with expert faculty and highly motivated students from a wide range of programs who can offer a fresh perspective.
- You can finally get to that project you’ve been too under-resourced to take on. Let’s tackle it together!
How to get involved
- Bring your ideas to life through Research and Innovation.
- If you’re a non-profit or want to start a social enterprise, connect with the Centre for Changemaking and Social Innovation.
- Start a business at the Henry Bernick Entrepreneurship Centre.
- Support projects that respond to Truth and Reconciliation through our Indigenous Resource Centres.
Want to learn more about changemaking at the college?
Georgian’s Change Team is comprised of an interdisciplinary, caring and talented group of faculty, staff, students and community members. For more information, please contact: