Why Indigenous Studies at Georgian?
- Enjoy a home away from home in the Indigenous Resource Centre! Take part in cultural teachings, craft workshops, guest speaker events, feasts and more
- Gain valuable work experience and workplace connections with exciting work-integrated learning opportunities
- Indigenous Studies programs are open for everyone, Indigenous and non-Indigenous students alike!
- Learn in a college community dedicated to embedding as much Indigenous culture and knowledge as possible
- Enrich your learning experiences with access to Niwijiagans (peer mentors), Getsijig (Indigenous education counsellor), Indigenous student advisors and Visiting Elders
Certificates (1 year)
Diplomas (2 years)
Not sure about your next career move?
Find the career that’s right for you, and the Georgian program that will take you there.
Taking the Shki-Miikan (New Road) program and then later Indigenous Community and Social Development program at Georgian College helped me feel proud of my Native heritage. That pride turned into higher self-confidence and shaped me into the person I am today. —Charmaine Whitman
Indigenous Resource Centre
Georgian has Indigenous Resource Centres at our Barrie, Midland, Orillia and Owen Sound campuses.
The centres provide a culturally supportive and comfortable environment where you can study, socialize, and access a wide range of resources. Our friendly staff are here to support you, whether academically, personally or spiritually.
Annual Pow Wow
Georgian’s annual traditional Pow Wow draws dancers, drummers, vendors and spectators from all over Turtle Island. The one-day cultural celebration is open to all and attracts thousands of people to the Barrie Campus.
Hosted by Georgian College’s Indigenous Resource Centre staff and students, the Pow Wow is a celebration of traditional Indigenous culture, song and dance.
Connect with us
Take a single course, or work towards a diploma, certificate or degree—all at a pace that’s right for you. Part-time courses are offered at night or on weekends, or you can opt for online learning.
Looking for credit?
Select from a range of programs, register class-by-class and study on your time. Georgian offers degrees, certificates, diplomas, advanced diplomas and graduate certificates.
Looking to advance your career, meet an industry requirement or learn a new skill? We offer a variety of evening and weekend courses to support your ongoing growth.
Take a course or program online instead as an alternative to in-class. Online courses for a range of subjects are available to part-time and full-time students through OntarioLearn.