What is an apprentice?
An apprentice is someone who is training to work in a skilled trade.
As a registered apprentice, you’ll receive most of your training on the job under the supervision of an experienced tradesperson, and you will be paid while you gain work experience.
You’ll also complete in-school training at Georgian College in our state-of-the-art shop spaces. While the majority of the cost of the in-school training is paid by the ministry, you are required to pay a classroom fee of $10 per day to Georgian College.
At the end of the two- to five-year journey, you’ll have developed a high level of skill, judgment and creativity to succeed in this high-demand industry.
In Ontario, apprenticeship training is run by the Ministry of Labour, Training and Skills Development. Georgian College is a Training Delivery Agent.
Learn more about apprenticeship programs and facilities at Georgian!
Why apprenticeships at Georgian?
- Prepare for an in-demand, high-paying career in the skilled trades like electrical, welding, plumbing and more
- Join the workforce and help the shortage of skilled tradespeople in Canada
- Complete the in-school portion of your apprentice training in Georgian’s state-of-the-art facilities
- Develop practical and technical skills and learn the latest industry standards and technology with cutting-edge equipment
- Enjoy small class sizes and benefit from hands-on training from experienced faculty
- Earn an income while educating yourself in a trade with paid on-the-job training
How to get started
Steps to get started with an apprenticeship
- Find a program you’re interested in. Check out Georgian’s apprenticeship programs.
- Find a sponsor – someone who agrees to hire, train and pay you.
- Fill out a form to apply for an apprenticeship.
- Sign a training agreement with your sponsor after your application has been approved.
- Register with the Ontario College of Trades to start training.
Apprenticeship programs offered at Georgian
- Child and Youth Worker
- Child Development Practitioner
- Developmental Services Worker
- Educational Assistant
- Electrician – Construction and Maintenance/
Domestic and Rural/Industrial
- General Carpenter
- General Machinist
- Marine Engine Technician
- Mould Maker
- Small Engine Mechanic
- Tool and Die Maker
Not sure about your next career move?
Find the career that’s right for you, and the Georgian program that will take you there.
Georgian’s Robbert Hartog Midland Campus offers exceptional apprenticeship and skills training, providing the industry with a vital, highly-qualified workforce.
Skilled Trades students benefit from 67,000 square feet of learning space, including 39,000 square feet of dedicated shop space.
Our Muskoka Campus, located in beautiful Bracebridge, is home to state-of-the-art skilled trades facilities.
Featuring 18,000 square feet of learning space, the Muskoka Campus includes a 7,000-square-foot carpentry shop and a 300-square-foot paint and finishing room.
Owen Sound Campus
The Owen Sound Campus features many learning labs dedicated to skilled trades and apprenticeship training.
In these spaces, students learn about electrical techniques, gas-fitting, carpentry and other trades areas.
Connect with us
Take a single course, or work towards a diploma, certificate or degree—all at a pace that’s right for you. Part-time courses are offered at night or on weekends, or you can opt for online learning.
Looking for credit?
Select from a range of programs, register class-by-class and study on your time. Georgian offers degrees, certificates, diplomas, advanced diplomas and graduate certificates.
Looking to advance your career, meet an industry requirement or learn a new skill? We offer a variety of evening and weekend courses to support your ongoing growth.
Take a course or program online instead as an alternative to in-class. Online courses for a range of subjects are available to part-time and full-time students through OntarioLearn.