Sometimes the transition to college life can be tricky, so we’re here to help. There are many services and supports available to you at Georgian.
- Help students build both academic and personal resilience so that they can flourish at Georgian and beyond
- Provide individual, group and web-based advising sessions
- Are housed within the academic areas
What is academic resilience?
- Good academic outcomes despite adversity
- Ability to effectively deal with setbacks, stress or pressure in the academic setting
Examples of tools/interventions used to promote academic resilience
- Creating collaborative academic success plans linking students to campus supports
- Supporting students to navigate academic tools, platforms, policies, procedures and processes
- Add/drop, academic misconduct policies and procedures, suspensions, My Path, Banner
- Supporting students to develop study skills including test taking and time management
- Engaging in open conversations by asking open-ended questions that allow students to own their experiences and identify opportunities to change
- Assist students in identifying their own strengths through various tools and discussion
What is personal resilience?
- Ability to remain productive and positive when faced with stress, uncertainty and change
- Capacity to recover quickly from difficulties
Examples of tools/interventions used to promote personal resilience
- Supporting students in building a sense of meaning and purpose at the college
- Supporting students to build their capacity to manage stress and re-frame setbacks
- Empathize with and affirm the student’s situation
- Engage in discussion and support the creation of goal setting
- Referrals to counselling services
Connect with the advising team
There are several ways to book an appointment with a Student Advisor. We’re available to meet in person, virtually or over the phone. When you call, please share your campus and student ID.
Student portal: Appointments can easily be made by clicking on the Student Advisor icon on the top left-hand corner in the Student Portal.
Phone: call 705.728.1968, ext. 1307
In person: stop by K112 at the Barrie Campus and A200 at the Orillia Campus
Email: send your date and time for your meeting request to email@example.com