The Centre for Teaching and Learning facilitates academic professional development (PD) with emphasis on the quality of the student learning experience and support for those experiences both in and outside the classroom. Our focus is on internal and external PD that leads to improved student learning through improved teaching and learning practices, systems, and support.
Hours of Operation | Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., room M350, Barrie Campus
What's Happening in CTL
AIM Completion Report for Coordinators
The Academic Integrity Module (AIM) is a three-part online learning experience designed to give all current first year, first semester students, foundational knowledge to support their understanding of academic integrity at Georgian College. Coordinators have access to run the AIM Completion Status Report to see the completion status of students within a course in their program area.
Changemaking Workshop: Human Centred Design as a Teaching and Learning Tool
Take a deep dive into changemaking education by exploring teaching and learning strategies you can use in your classes? Participate in this workshop to learn about the resources available at the college, collaborate with peers and practice Human Centred Design thinking.
New Workshop Series – College Learners
Teaching college students is challenging, exciting, frustrating, and rewarding.
Great teachers are passionate and inspire their learners, but are also driven to continually improve their teaching practice. Throughout this series, participants will engage with key concepts of inclusive teaching, including universal design for learning frameworks, technologies to support diverse learners, and strategies to foster cultures of academic integrity.
Blackboard can be used to communicate with students, post links to important information, post course content such as lecture materials, and facilitate student collaboration. If you are new to Blackboard try our self-paced online module found on the support page.
Teaching and Learning Topics
- Encourage and facilitate discussion about professional teaching practice at the post-secondary level through workshops, mentoring, online learning, and open dialogue materials for faculty on topics related to assessment, teaching strategies and teaching with technology
- Create instructional resources for teaching and learning
- Implement a model for new faculty orientation and development
- Develop skills in academic areas for making and implementing informed curriculum delivery choices
- Provide support and facilitate continuous improvement in college curriculum
- Facilitate skill development for the effective use of technology for teaching and learning
- Provide and support technological resources to enhance teaching and learning (eg. student response systems, development software, digital camera, web links) and print resources (eg. books, journals) to enhance teaching and learning
- Applying Principles of Good Practice for Assessment
- Designing Effective Assignments
- Introduction to Problem Based Learning (PBL)
- Scaffolding: Providing Structure for Success
- Applying Design Principles to Learning Documents
- Understanding and Enhancing Student Motivation
- Preventing Plagiarism
- Using Experiential Learning Effectively