During this foundation year, students embark on a personal journey of discovery. Students develop a solid academic base, assess education and career options, and develop self-management skills. Through Indigenous language and teachings, students explore their sense of cultural identity. Traditional teachings and smudging are integrated daily throughout each academic semester in social activities, individual program courses, and Traditional Teacher/Elder visits.
Please note: Indigenous includes First Nations, Métis, Inuit, and Non Status People.
Graduates may use the Shki Miikan foundation year as a pathway to further studies at the college level. Others may choose to seek employment in supportive occupations requiring a general education or with organizations that prefer to administer their own training program.
OSSD or equivalent with
- Grade 12 English (C or U)
Mature students, non-secondary school applicants (19 years or older), and home school applicants may also be considered for admission. Eligibility may be met by applicants who have taken equivalent courses, upgrading, completed their GED, and equivalency testing. For complete details refer to: www.georgiancollege.ca/admissions/policies-procedures/
Applicants who have taken courses from a recognized and accredited post-secondary institution and/or have relevant life/learning experience may also be considered for admission; refer to the Credit Transfer Centre website for details: www.georgiancollege.ca/admissions/credit-transfer/
- COMP 1003 - Microcomputer Applications (Semester 1 / 42 hours)
- GNED 1010 - Ojibwe Language and Culture 1 (Semester 1 / 42 hours)
- INDG 1000 - Personal Growth and Development (Semester 1 / 42 hours)
- INDG 1001 - Indigenous Heritage, Tradition and Culture (Semester 1 / 42 hours)
- GNED 2055 - Ojibwe Language and Culture 2 (Semester 2 / 42 hours)
- INDG 1002 - Indigenous Community and Family Life (Semester 2 / 42 hours)
- INDG 1003 - Introduction to Psychology: An Indigenous Perspective (Semester 2 / 42 hours)
- INDG 1004 - Holistic Health and Healing (Semester 2 / 42 hours)
- Select 1 course from the communications list during registration. (Semester 1)
- Select 1 course from the communications list during registration. (Semester 2)
General education courses
- Select 1 course from the general education list during registration. (Semester 1)
- Select 1 course from the general education list during registration. (Semester 2)