Types of Giving
There are several ways to invest in Georgian College students, some resulting in immediate positive impacts and others that leave a long-term legacy. Please consider the following ways to give:
Honour the memory of a loved one while supporting a student in need.
- with a minimum donation of $1,000, donors have the option of naming their award or scholarship after a family member or friend
- for more information regarding memorial awards, please contact our Awards Officer at 705.728.1968, ext. 1211 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Gifts of cash
One-time gifts, or gifts pledged over multiple years
- a convenient way to give
- you may designate your donation to a specific fund/project or put it toward Georgian’s highest priority to support urgent projects and emerging opportunities
- gifts of cash can be made in the form of cash, cheque, credit card or online payment
Gift-in-kind refers to gifts of property or materials other than cash.
- equipment, tools and supplies for student learning and/or upgrading college facilities.
- offers students the best possible learning environments, real estate property or auction items to raise additional funds
- charitable tax receipts are issued for the fair market value of the gift-in-kind
Make a lasting impact on the community at Georgian.
- donors can choose to make a donation with the option of renewal each year
- annual giving plans are customized to meet the donor’s philanthropic goals
In Memory donations provide a wonderful way to remember someone important to you.
- Donations will be directed to enhance the Highest Priority Fund.
- Create an award or scholarship in memory of a loved one.
Run a special event to raise money for student success.
- please email email@example.com or call 705.728.1968, ext. 1210
- Let us help recognize your efforts and assist you in any way we can
Tribute donations provide a wonderful way to celebrate someone important to you.
- Celebrate a birthday, anniversary, marriage, retirement, new job, promotion or religious celebration
- Perfect for special events that calls for a unique recognition
Gifts of securities are shares of publicly traded companies.
- in 2006, the federal government eliminated capital gains taxes on appreciated securities donated to a charity
- a tax receipt is issued for the fair market value of the securities on the date the transfer of ownership occurs
- for more information, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 705.728.1968, ext. 1214
Endowments allow donors to support generations of students.
- the principal amount of the donation remains intact while the investment interest is used to fund projects that help Georgian meet its mission to inspire innovation, transform lives and connect communities
- for more information about establishing one, please contact us at 705.728.1968, ext. 1211 or email@example.com
Georgian Legacy Society
Consider becoming part of the Georgian Legacy Society with a planned gift. These donors choose to make a gift commitment now that will be received in the future, most often through life insurance or a bequest.
A bequest is a gift designated to Georgian College in a donor’s will. Georgian welcomes specific, residual, percentage or contingent bequests. Donors are encouraged to communicate their intentions to the college to ensure their wishes can be carried out and so that we may recognize their gift.
Gifts of life insurance may be made in the following ways:
- designate Georgian College as the beneficiary of a life insurance policy. This allows you to maintain control of the policy, and gives you the option to change the beneficiary. A donation receipt is issued when the charity receives the proceeds of the insurance upon your death, and can be used to offset other tax liabilities incurred by your estate.
- transfer ownership of your existing policy to Georgian College. The college will issue charitable donation receipts for the premiums you pay into the policy, allowing you to claim tax credits. The proceeds of the life insurance policy are paid directly to the college upon your death with no tax implications.
How to Give
Georgian wants to make it easy for you to give and help transform the student experience and there are many convenient ways to do so. Join us as we invest in preparing tomorrow’s grads to meet tomorrow’s opportunities.
Payment options: We accept cash, cheque (payable to Georgian College), credit card (Visa, MasterCard and Amex) or online payments.
Tax receipts: Charitable tax receipts are issued for donations of $20 or more.
IN PERSON: An Advancement and Community Development staff member can come to you, or you are welcome to drop by our office in Room E200 at the Barrie Campus, located at 1 Georgian Drive.
MAIL: Complete the donor pledge form and mail it to Georgian College, Advancement and Community Development, Room E200, 1 Georgian Drive, Barrie, ON, L4M 3X9.
ONLINE: Donate now via CanadaHelps. You can choose how you would like your donation designated.
PHONE: Contact Melissa Quinlan at 705.728.1968 ext. 1210.
FAX: Complete the donor pledge form and fax it to 705.722.5176.
Georgian College charitable registration number: 11893 7283 RR0001
Advancement and Community Development follows strict privacy guidelines and ethical practices. We abide by the Association of Fundraising Professionals’ Code of Ethics and Donor Bill of Rights. Information collected will be used only to keep you informed about activities and opportunities to support Georgian College.