Georgian hosting Housing Awareness Week to highlight student housing options
July 19, 2023
Are you a current or new student at Georgian looking for housing? Get your questions answered during our first Housing Awareness Week from July 24 to 27, 2023. You’ll be able to learn more about housing options, gather resources and talk with other students about their housing experiences.
You can register for a virtual event or join us in person for the Housing and Community Resource Fair at the Barrie Campus on July 27 where you’ll be able to ask questions about housing and connect with community resources. Can’t make it? Connect with the housing representative at your campus.
Whether you’re interested in living on campus in residence in Barrie, Orillia or Owen Sound or finding your own place off campus, Georgian offers resources to help you find the type of housing that best fits your needs.
We offer on-campus housing for students in Barrie, Orillia and Owen Sound. On-campus housing is a convenient option if you’re looking to live close to your classes and on-campus facilities. Living on campus also allows you to:
- meet new people from around the world
- get involved in the college community
- develop your leadership skills by becoming a residence advisor, planning outings or starting a club
If you’ve decided you’d like to live off campus, there are many options available including:
- room rentals
- apartment rentals
- house rentals
- basement apartment or room rentals
When starting your off-campus house search we’ve put together some key factors to consider:
- housing laws and regulations
- rental scams
- health, safety and security
If you’re a student in the Barrie area, Georgian now has an affordable and safe housing option in partnership with SpacesShared. You’ll have access to affordable and safe housing and in return provide company to your housemate and assistance with household tasks.
Once hosts are available, all you have to do is:
- create a profile
- apply on the platform
- get connected with compatible hosts recommended by the SpacesShared algorithm
International students coming to Canada to study at Georgian have many housing options available, including Homestay.
With Homestay, students are carefully matched to one of our caring host families who will provide a private bedroom, food for three meals per day and internet access. Homestay also allows international students:
- a great opportunity to immerse yourself in Canadian culture and experience Canadian life in a family setting
- a chance to practise your English and improve your language skills