Meet the team
Katie Sleep, Manager, Conference and Event Services
Katie holds a bachelor’s degree in Tourism Studies from Brock University, a Teaching and Training Adults certificate from Georgian College and completed a Master of Arts in Leadership from the University of Guelph in 2019. She has more than 15 years of experience in conference and event services, having started as a banquet server during her university years and then worked her way up to the position of Senior Manager, Conference and Banquet Services at Blue Mountain Resort where she worked for over 10 years. Katie joined the Georgian team in 2015 and is excited to have the opportunity to work in the same place where the hospitality industry’s future leaders are being trained.
Email: Email Katie
Kirsten Spencer-Arscott, Co-ordinator, Conference and Event Services
Kirsten has a Bachelor of Arts degree with specialization in Psychology from Nipissing University. After graduating, she moved to Barrie and completed a graduate certificate in Event Management from Georgian College. Before taking on the role as a conference co-ordinator in 2016, she worked in various customer service roles across the retail and food service industries, including co-managing an ice cream parlour. She’s always been drawn to the idea of event planning, which allows her to put both her organizational skills and her creativity to good use. She loves working at Georgian because she loved school and now gets to work with students, faculty and staff every day. Her favourite events to work with are those that support the student community, such as networking nights and professional panels.
Email: Email Kirsten
Melissa Hood, Co-ordinator, Conference and Event Services
Melissa graduated from Durham College in 2016 with a diploma in Special Events Planning. After graduating, she took a Catering Coordinator role in Durham Region, following which she moved to Holland Marsh Wineries as the Lead Sales and Events Coordinator for over four years. After starting her academic journey at Georgian College in Massage Therapy, Melissa was drawn to the concept of bringing people together through events, and so she changed paths. She is excited to be back at the college that influenced this change and led her on a path to executing events that have left impressions on countless attendees. Melissa’s favourite events are those that create opportunities for attendees to learn, grow and develop both personal and professional skills.
Email: Email Melissa
Shelby Mollett, Convocation Officer
Shelby has an Advanced Diploma in Business Administration with an Accounting focus. Prior to completing her postsecondary education, she worked in the hospitality industry for 10 years. Shelby joined Georgian College in 2016 as the Convocation and Records Assistant, advancing into the role of Convocation Officer one year later. Over the past six years, Shelby has overseen more than 40 convocation ceremonies and helped thousands of students become graduates. Although her background in numbers makes the data and analytical aspects of convocation so enjoyable, her favourite part of the event is seeing the pride in each graduate as they cross the stage.
For more information on upcoming ceremonies or to watch past ceremonies, please visit the convocation webpage.
Email: Email Shelby
Event blog and Keynote newsletter
It’s been a long couple of years and maybe it’s been a while since you’ve planned an in-person event. Whether you’re a seasoned planner or you’re hosting an event for the first time, here’s what you need to consider before you get started!
Read our newsletter, The Keynote, to see what’s going on with the Conference and Event Services department!
- Communicating COVID-19 requirements for your event
- A guide to safe events, so far
- Three catering styles to get familiar with
- Tips for travelling in 2021
- How to plan a safe outdoor event
- 5 reasons to have a micro wedding
- Connecting with stakeholders through virtual events
- 4 questions to ask while planning your hybrid event
- 7 mental health tips for event planners
- 5 event trends to look out for in 2021
- ‘Tis the season for giving: How to incorporate giving into your virtual events
- Hybrid events and the future of the event industry
- Team building with themed virtual events
- 4 tips for stakeholder management in virtual events
- 6 tips for engaging attendees during virtual events
- Our top 5 virtual event tips for event coordinators
- Virtual events – a whole different way of engaging
- 10 event swag bag items people actually like
- 7 Things To Consider When Selecting The Right Keynote Speaker
- 9 Dietary Restrictions Every Event Planner Should Be Aware Of
- 9 Things to Consider When Planning an Accessible Event
- How to make the most of your summer in Barrie
- The 11 Best Hors D’Oeuvres to Serve at Your 2019 Event
- How to plan the perfect giving event
Are you ready to book your Barrie meeting? Call us or visit us on-location to take a tour of our meeting venues. We can’t wait to show you the perfect space for your event!
Stay up to date with our latest news! Subscribe to our newsletter, The Keynote.