Georgian changemaker college designation renewed, only college in Canada
Oct. 5, 2023
Ashoka U renewed Georgian’s designation for four more years, solidifying our position as the first and only changemaker college in Canada.
The designation from Ashoka U, the world’s largest network of social entrepreneurs, sets Georgian apart as a leader in creating positive change in the communities we serve and producing graduates with the innovative skills and creative mindset needed to use their education for social good.
Changemaking is infused into all areas at Georgian — from award-winning curriculum development and innovative research to student learning experiences both in and outside the classroom.
Reasons why we were redesignated a changemaker college
To name just a few:
- Offer students free Flourishing 5 Pack micro-certificates, which include changemaking, to develop the skills to make positive social change and be ready for the future of work.
- Spearhead Change the Now, a network of changemakers collaborating on projects for positive change, including a valued partnership with Georgian’s Centre for Equity, Diversity, Inclusion and Belonging.
- Undertake Community Impact Lab projects where students, employees and community members work on regional solutions for causes they’re passionate about, including the United Nations 17 Sustainable Development Goals (UNSDG).
- A Georgian team presented changemaker competencies research funded by the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada at the International Social Innovation Research Conference in Portugal in September.
- Significant upgrades to our Hospitality, Tourism and Recreation curriculum, such as expanding our culinary gardens and bringing bees on to campus for honey production and pollinator protection, which reflect the UNSDG. See how culinary programs have cooked up ways to reduce our carbon footprint.
The designation falls under Ashoka U’s Changemaker Campus program, which recognizes more than 40 colleges and universities globally that have embedded social innovation and changemaking into their culture, programming and operations.
Change Leader Nicole Norris, Director, Social Innovation, is proud to represent Canada on Ashoka’s Network Advisory Committee.
Think you can change the world?
We do, too!