Money you don’t need to repay: How to apply for bursaries
Aug. 5, 2022
Georgian offers a variety of bursaries. You can apply for them online. Unlike OSAP or student lines of credit, you don’t need to pay this money back.
What is a bursary?
Bursaries are usually paid based on financial need, but criteria vary. Their minimum value is $500. Georgian disburses more than $3 million in bursaries every single year, so it’s worth applying!
Types of bursaries available
- Georgian Bursary: For full-time domestic students who need extra help paying for postsecondary school.
- Georgian Technology Bursary: For full-time domestic students who require new technology during their study period.
- Georgian Travel Bursary: For full-time domestic students who commute more than 30 kilometres to campus by car or transit.
- Emergency Bursary: For full-time domestic students facing a financial emergency because of events beyond their control.
- Indigenous Student Bursary: For Indigenous students who self-identify on the general application through the award application system and who are in financial need.
- Métis Nation of Ontario Bursary: For students of Métis ancestry.
- Ontario First Generation Bursary: Offers extra funding to students whose parents never attended postsecondary studies, and who have also applied for OSAP.
When to apply
Our application cycles are in the fall, winter and summer terms. For most opportunities, you must complete your general application before the end of each cycle in order to be considered. The application cycles are:
- Fall: Aug. 15 to Sept. 30
- Winter: Dec. 12 to Jan. 27
- Summer: April 10 to May 26
Applying is easy
With just one online application, you can help fund your future! Remember to update your application at the start of each term. Some opportunities require supplemental information to provide proof that you’ve met eligibility criteria. Learn how to apply, and watch a video tutorial of the application system.
We’re happy to help! If you have questions about award, scholarship or bursary opportunities, read our frequently asked questions or contact the Financial Aid and Awards office.
More financial aid options to explore
Awards and scholarships
Starting Aug. 15 you can apply for awards and scholarships. Their average value is $1,000. They are based on a wide variety of criteria including accomplishment, situation needs and academic achievement. Like bursaries, they offer money students don’t need to repay!
An important resource to residents of this province, the Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP) provides help through loans and grants based on your calculated financial need. For the most up-to-date information regarding the OSAP program, please visit the OSAP website.
External awards and bursaries
Outside of Georgian, there are many organizations and businesses that provide awards, scholarships and bursaries to postsecondary students. Explore external awards below for more information and how to apply.
This post was originally published April 2022 and updated August 2022.