Students gain the required skills to install, service, and maintain the environmental systems for residential buildings, including working with a variety of gas appliances, as well as an introduction to refrigeration and air conditioning. Students examine energy efficient and environmentally friendly approaches; and read, utilize, and produce Heating, Refrigeration, and Air Conditioning (HRAC) drawings using industry standard software. Students gain the required skills to obtain the Technical Standards and Safety Authority (TSSA) Gas Technician 2 (G.2) exams in order to become a licensed gas technician.
This program is accredited by the Canadian Association for Co-operative Education (CAFCE).
This accreditation represents the highest standard of achievement for co-operative education programs in Canada, and recognizes Georgian's commitment to quality in co-op education.
OSSD or equivalent, with
- Grade 12 English (C or U)
- Grade 12 Mathematics (C or U)
You must meet ONE of the following requirements to be eligible for admission to these programs:
Secondary school applicants:
- OSS Curriculum: OSSD or equivalent with Grade 12 English (C) or (U) (ENG 4C, ENG 4U); plus any
- Grade 12 College Mathematics (MAP 4C or MCT 4C), or any Grade 12 U University Mathematics.
Non-Secondary school applicants (19 years or older):
- Any credit Communication course taken at Georgian College
- Equivalent courses in English taken through secondary school or Independent Learning Centres (at the general, advanced, college or university level)
- Academic and Career Entrance Certificate (ACE) program with communications
- Mature student testing in English and mathematics that meets the minimum standards for admission (available through most testing services)*
- Ontario High School Equivalency Certificate (GED)
- English, Literature or Communication credit courses from accredited colleges/universities
Home school applicants:
- Applicants can write the mature student testing in English and mathematics that meets the minimum standards for admission (available through testing services)*
View the Heat/Ref/Air Cond Technician articulations on the Credit Transfer Centre page.
- DRFT2003 Drafting Techniques
- GAST1003 Introduction to Gas Appliances
- HRAC2000 Refrigeration and Air Conditioning 1
- SCIE2001 Heating and Air Conditioning Science
- MATH1007 Mathematics Techniques
- FITN1002 Fitness and Wellness
- ELEC1010 Introduction to Electricity
- GAST1013 Professional Practices
- GAST1014 Piping and Tubing Systems
- ELEC1011 Basic Electricity and Controls
- GAST1015 Gas Appliances
- GAST1016 Piping, Forced Air and Space Heating
- GAST1017 Venting
- GAST1019 Gas Code Applications
- ELEC1012 Electrical Troubleshooting Applications
- GAST1020 Buildings and Air Handling
- GAST1018 Water Heaters and Hydronic Heating
- GNED1000 Environmental Concerns
Communications CoursesTo be selected at time of registration from the College list, as determined by testing.
General Education CoursesTo be selected from College list
Co-op Work Term
- COOP1029 HRAC Work Term