Environmental Technician graduates are trained as entry-level practitioners in the use of environmental sampling, monitoring and testing equipment and information technology tools and will be familiar with standard operating procedures for conducting environmental projects. The program provides students with applied knowledge of health, safety and environmental legislative requirements, environmental management systems; and the basic principles of ecosystem-based management for sustainability.
Georgian College's Environmental Technician and Technology programs have enjoyed a partnership with the City of Barrie for over 20 years within the areas of water, wastewater, engineering and environmental services. This partnership has fostered support for the college's advisory committee, special projects and co-operative education work terms. Subsequently, many graduates have also secured full-time employment with City of Barrie as a result of the success of this partnership.
This program is accredited by the Canadian Association for Co-operative Education (CAFCE).
This accreditation represents the highest standard of achievement for co-operative education programs in Canada, and recognizes Georgian's commitment to quality in co-op education.
OSSD or equivalent with
- Grade 12 English (C or U)
- Grade 12 Mathematics (C or U)
You must meet ONE of the following requirements to be eligible for admission to these programs:
Secondary school applicants:
- OSS Curriculum: OSSD or equivalent with Grade 12 English (C) or (U) (ENG4C, ENG4U); plus any Grade 12 College Mathematics (MAP4C or MCT4C), or any Grade 12 U University Mathematics. Also recommended: Grade 12 College or Grade 11 or 12 University Physics (SPH4C, SPH4U, SPH3U) or Grade 12 College or Grade 11 or 12 University Chemistry (SCH4C, SCH4U, SCH3U) or Grade 11 C Biology or Grade 11 or 12 U Biology (SBI3C, SBI3U, SBI4U).
Non-Secondary school applicants (19 years or older):
- Any credit Communication course and most credit mathematics courses taken at Georgian College
- College preparatory programs including those taken at Georgian College: Technology Foundation and Technology Fundamentals*
- Equivalent courses in English and mathematics taken through secondary school or Independent Learning Centres (at the general, advanced, college or university level)
- Academic and Career Entrance Certificate (ACE) program with communications and business, apprentice or technical mathematics*
- Mature student testing in English and mathematics that meets the minimum standards for admission (available through most testing services)*
- Ontario High School Equivalency Certificate (GED)
- English, Literature or Communication credit courses and most mathematics credit courses from accredited colleges/universities
Home school applicants:
- Applicants can write the mature student testing in English and mathematics that meets the minimum standards for admission (available through testing services)*
* available from Georgian College. For a complete listing please contact the Office of the Registrar.
View the Environmental Technician articulations on the Credit Transfer Centre page.
- BIOL1008 Biological Systems
- CHEM1003 Introduction to Applied Chemistry
- CHEM2002 Applied Organic Chemistry
- COMP1059 Computer Technology for Environmental Applications
- ENVR1000 Environmental Science and Sustainability
- ENVR1004 Geospatial Technology
- ENVR2004 Waste Management Strategies
- ENVR2012 Ecosystems and Environmental Sampling
- ENVR2013 Limnology and Watershed Management
- ENVR2014 Environmental Management Systems and Audits
- LAWS2010 Environmental Law and Policy
- MATH1018 Introduction to Technical Mathematics
- PHYS1004 Physical Systems in the Environment
- STAT2006 Applied Statistics for Environmental Applications
- ENVR1005 Workplace Safety and Employment Readiness
- ENVR1006 Earth Science
- ENVR1007 Water Treatment
- ENVR2017 Soil Properties
- ENVR2018 Environmental Assessment and Contaminants in the Environment
- ENVR2019 Environmental CAD
- ENVR2020 Wastewater Treatment
- SURV2002 Environmental Surveying
Communications CoursesTo be selected at time of registration from the College list, as determined by testing.
General Education CoursesTo be selected from College list
Co-op Work Term
- COOP1023 Environmental Work Term 1