Benefits of renting to students
Considering providing off-campus accommodations to Georgian students? Here are some of the benefits:
- There is high demand for off-campus student housing in Georgian’s seven campus communities
- Barrie, Midland, Muskoka (Bracebridge), Orangeville, Orillia, Owen Sound and South Georgian Bay (Collingwood)
- You can earn extra income
- You are helping support a student’s future while they pursue postsecondary studies
- By providing housing to an international student, you are:
- enriching our community through multi-culturalism
- helping a newcomer settle into a new life in Canada
Considerations when renting to students
If you’re planning to offer off-campus housing to Georgian students, here are some items to consider:
- Distance to campus: Many students seek off-campus rentals that are close to Georgian’s campuses, especially since most do not have cars. How quickly they can get to campus is often front of mind. Is your unit within walking or cycling distance to campus, or on a bus route?
- Close to amenities: Likewise, nearby amenities are important to students. What shopping, dining and entertainment options will students have access to?
- Affordable rent: Students are often on tight budgets and may rely on student loans, support from parents or income from part-time job(s). Affordable rent is extremely important for students putting themselves through postsecondary education.
- Access to wifi and laundry: Students need high-speed internet to complete their college courses. As well, onsite laundry facilities are favourable.
- Clean, safe accommodations: Students need clean, safe and secure living environments while they complete their studies.
Renting to international students
Georgian is home to 4,500 international students from more than 85 countries!
With a growing number of international students being welcomed into your local community, the demand for affordable housing is increasing.
Georgian needs your help in supporting our international students who relocate to Georgian’s campus communities from their home countries by providing safe and welcoming housing environments.
Here are some items to keep in mind when renting to international students:
- Furnished accommodations: Furnished rooms or apartment rentals can help first-time international students in Canada settle into their new environment. Consider providing accommodations with basic and essential furnishings such as a bed, dresser, desk and computer chair.
- Foster healthy community living: Help international students understand healthy community living through education and awareness of rental rules, garbage and recycling, cleanliness, lawn maintenance and snow removal.
- Host family and Homestay opportunities: International students starting a new life in Canada can benefit greatly from living with a host family. By becoming a Homestay host, you can help introduce a newcomer to Canadian culture and customs as they navigate life in our communities.
Advertise your rental online
Georgian College has partnered with Places4Students.com, a company that specializes in providing off-campus housing options to postsecondary students.
Through Places4Students, landlords will have access to:
- an off-campus housing search platform that Georgian supports
- easily create and control listings as well as track the visits to ads
- information about the current competitive rental climate
- reasonably priced rentals advertisements
- live customer service and convenient help links
- a platform that makes rental listings easy for our students to search
- market rentals to prospective students planning to come to Georgian College
- an up-to-date database and Google Mapping feature
If you have any questions, please contact Places4Students.com at 1.866.766.0767 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Other websites to advertise your rental
Post your ad on Georgian’s international housing board
Georgian has a housing board in the Segal International Centre at the Barrie Campus. Here, you can post your ad for free!
Your ad can be viewed by current international students at Georgian who are looking to relocate, or students who have been unable to find suitable housing close to campus.
Become a homestay host
Georgian’s international students enjoy cultural exchange with host families living in the areas. Homestay living also offers lots of opportunity for students to practise English and improve language and social skills.
As a Homestay host, you will provide an international student with a private bedroom, food for three meals per day and internet access.
Georgian College currently works with third-party partners who provide Homestay services.
We encourage you to familiarize yourself with the Residential Tenancies Act, city by-laws regarding boarding, lodging and rooming houses, and other important resources linked below.
Rental scam alert
Please be aware that a number of institutions in other cities have reported that individuals have been contacting landlords with listings on their off-campus housing registries and offering to pay the entire year’s rent with a cheque or money order.
Typically, the potential tenant will sends several months’ worth of rent and then almost immediately asks for all but one or two months’ rent (deposit) to be returned. They do this in the hope that your bank will not recognize the forgery until the normal clearing process has happened. If you send them the money, you are then out that money when the bank discovers that the cheque or money order is a forgery.
Remember, if it seems too good to be true (e.g. potential tenant wants to pay the entire year’s rent up front or they are willing to pay more than your asking price, etc.), it probably is.
Georgian College does not make representations or warranties concerning the quality or suitability of accommodations listed on the www.Places4Students.com website or any other posting. Georgian College cannot and does not provide any personal information of the students to any third party and will not accept responsibility or any liability for housing arrangements by people using the registry. We recommend that you obtain independent legal advice before signing a lease with a landlord. Students, it is in your interest to ask questions regarding the legality and suitability of the rental unit.
705.728.1968, ext. 5290
705.526.3666, ext. 3707
705.646.7629, ext. 4808
519.940.0331, ext. 5661