Top things to do after class around Barrie
July 15, 2022
College isn’t all about being in the classroom. Studying at the Barrie Campus? Looking for something fun to do?
- Tour a brewery! Check out Flying Monkeys Brewery, Barnstormer Brewing Company or Redline Brewhouse.
- Walk, bike or rollerblade along our beautiful waterfront. You can also go paddleboarding.
- Grab your kayak and put in at the Willow Creek canoe launch for a day of paddling.
- Have a picnic at one of the many beautiful beaches in the area.
- Pick up some healthy, local food at the popular Farmers’ Market held Saturday mornings between May and October at Barrie City Hall.
- There’s always something fun happening downtown Barrie.
- Got an axe to grind? Why not try throwing some around at Bullseye Axe Throwing.
- Practise your kickflips, grinds, ollies and nollies at the outdoor Queens Park Skatepark.
- Did you know you can try skydiving just minutes away from Barrie? And Georgian students receive a discount. Check out the details.
- Bike through the serene beauty of the Hardwood Ski and Bike trails. Georgian students receive 20 per cent off daily trail passes and bike rentals. Or, if you prefer to go a little faster, check out the downhill trails at Horseshoe Resort.
- Who doesn’t love bowling? It’s a fun night out and you can even check out cosmic glow-in-the-dark bowling.
- Take in some culture at one of Barrie’s several theatres. Georgian students receive discounts to Talk is Free Theatre. Check out the details.
- Go to the drive-in movie theatre.
- Barrie has a ton of golf courses. Whether you want to get in a quick, affordable round, or spend an afternoon on the links at Innisbrook, there are options for golfers of all skill levels.
- Did you know Barrie has its own film festival playing outdoor movies all summer long? They also offer unique programming through the rest of the year.
- Explore the gallery at the MacLaren Arts Centre.
- Have you ever tried disc golf? This could be the year to learn a new skill – and it’s free.
- If you love classic cars, pop down to the waterfront every Wednesday from May to mid-September.
The Barrie Georgian College Students’ Association (GCSA) hosts many events throughout the year. You can view upcoming events on their Facebook page, or drop by the GCSA office in room A162. You can also check out other neat things to do all year round at Tourism Barrie.
Photo courtesy of Tourism Barrie
This post was originally published June 2019 and updated July 2022 and April 2023.