June is Pride Month – celebrate with events and activities in our campus communities!
June 6, 2022
On this page:
- Barrie Pride Parade and Festival
- Pride FAQs for Pride-goers
- More Pride events in our campus communities
Barrie Pride Parade and Festival
Barrie Pride Parade and Festival is taking place on Saturday, June 11 from 2 to 9 p.m. in downtown Barrie on 30 Simcoe St. This is Barrie’s first Pride since 2019!
Georgian has registered to be involved as a group. Otherwise, come out to downtown Barrie on June 11 to watch and stick around for the festival afterwards!
- 1 to 1:45 p.m. – setup and organization – Georgian parade walkers will meet at the Barrie Public Library
- 2 p.m.: Parade starts
- 3 to 3:30 p.m.: Parade ends
More Pride events in our campus communities
- Barrie Pride events
- International Pride Flag Raising – June 8, 1 to 2 p.m., Barrie City Hall
- Sociable: Rainbow Costume Contest, June 15 8 to 11 p.m.
- Pride Flag Raising and Lemonade Stand, June 20, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Rainbow Clothing Swap with Starbucks, June 24, all day
- Wear Your Pride, through to June 30, Midland Public Library
- Muskoka Pride events, Pride Week, July 15 to 24 (across the region)
- Muskoka Pride Youth Group, June 10, 6 to 8 p.m., Bracebridge United Church (2SLGBTQIA+ and allies)
- Bracebridge Coffee Social, throughout the summer at various locations
- Muskoka Pride Parade, July 24, 12:30 p.m., Manitoba Street, Bracebridge
- Celebrate Your Awesome – a celebration of pride and diversity in Dufferin County, June 18
- Drag Queen Storytime, June 11, 10:30 a.m., Orillia Public Library
- Fierte Simcoe Pride coffee social, June 14, 3 to 5 p.m., Apple Annies Café, downtown Orillia
- Grey Bruce Pride, Pride Parade and Street Fair, June 18
South Georgian Bay
Pride is a lot of fun! If you’ve never attended a Pride event before, you probably have questions. Check out this handy FAQ for Pride-goers of all ages!
Barrie Pride Parade and Festival FAQs
Can I go to Pride if I don’t identify as part of the 2SLGBTQIA+ community?
Absolutely, you don’t have to be gay or queer to celebrate Pride. It’s about celebrating as a community and sharing the message of inclusion regardless of who you are or how you identify. But please be respectful of the space and its reason for existing.
Do I have to pay to go to Pride?
Not at all! Barrie Pride and Festival is FREE for all to enjoy!
Can I celebrate Pride without being “out”?
Yes! In many ways, Pride is especially important for people who aren’t out. Many of those who are out are eager to show you there’s a vibrant, diverse and welcoming community that will love, accept and fight for them. You don’t need to disclose your sexuality or gender identity to anyone to take part in Pride. Do what works for you, on your own timeline.
Can I bring my children or pets?
Barrie Pride Parade welcomes all members of the 2SLGBTQIA+ community and allies regardless of age. Pets are indeed welcome at the parade and on the route.
Is there parking available?
There’s over 2,000 public parking spaces within walking distance to Meridian Place. Check out Barrie’s Municipal Parking Map to plan your trip!
What should I bring?
Barrie Pride Parade and Festival is a rain or shine event, so be sure to pack an umbrella to stay dry and water to stay hydrated!
What should I wear?
Wear what makes you feel comfortable! Pride is a time to embrace who you are and wear whatever you like. There is no requirement to wear any LGBTQ+ accessories or Pride clothing, but we highly recommend sunscreen!