Begin your career as a baker or pastry chef! Through hands-on training, students will study traditional and contemporary baking methods, the basics of pastry, cake decorating and contemporary dessert plating. Through classroom lectures, students learn baking theory, nutrition, trade calculations, sanitation, food safety and business concepts to support skills used in the daily operation of a bakery. Using global industry trends, graduates are prepared to critically think, innovate, and to professionally apply business management skills for lifelong career success as a baking professional in all sectors of the food service industry or as entrepreneurs.
Tuition and fees
What are the admission requirements for the Baking and Pastry Arts program?
Baking and Pastry Arts admission requirements
OSSD or equivalent with
- Grade 12 English (C or U)
Mature students, non-secondary school applicants (19 years or older), and home school applicants may also be considered for admission. Eligibility may be met by applicants who have taken equivalent courses, upgrading, completed their GED, and equivalency testing. For complete details refer to: www.georgiancollege.ca/admissions/academic-regulations/
Applicants who have taken courses from a recognized and accredited post-secondary institution and/or have relevant life/learning experience may also be considered for admission; refer to the Credit for Prior Learning website for details:
Students should be aware that various allergens, including nuts, dairy and shellfish, are routinely used in practical labs.
What career paths can I take in baking and pastry arts?
Your Baking and Pastry Arts certificate gives you many career opportunities
Graduates may find work locally, provincially, nationally and internationally as a pastry chef, bakery manager, or retail baker in a variety of settings, including fine dining restaurants, hotel pastry departments, baking suppliers, catering companies, and boutique pastry shop outlets. Graduates also find employment as business owners by combining the skills they have learned with their entrepreneurial spirit to start and operate a successful business.
Why study Baking and Pastry Arts at Georgian?
- Meet current labour market demand for culinary professionals linked to craftsmanship, artisans and creativity.
- Experience hands-on training and develop business skills to prepare you for working in an established business or running your own.
- Take practical courses such as cake decorating, pastry assembly, bread and dessert making, alongside theory courses like health and safety, sanitation certification, nutrition, inventory control and more.
Focus on local
- Use locally sourced products in your work.
- Learn from award-winning baking-industry professionals and chefs that are among the best in their field.
- Our faculty have been recognized with the Teaching Excellence Award for postsecondary education in Ontario.
What courses are included in the Baking and Pastry Arts certificate program?
12 Program Courses
2 Communications Courses
2 General Education Courses
Semester 1 courses are listed below. For a full list of courses in the program including course descriptions, view the Baking and Pastry Arts program outline.
- BAKE 1000 – Baking Ingredients and Equipment Technology
- BAKE 1001 – Baker’s Formulas and Bake Shop Management
- BAKE 1002 – Basic Baking Production
- BAKE 1003 – Basic Pastry Production
- ENTR 1002 – Introduction to Entrepreneurship
- SANI 1000 – Basic Food Service Safety and Certification
- Select 1 course from the communications list during registration.
- Select 1 course from the general education list during registration.
Do you have questions about Baking and Pastry Arts? Contact us!
Thinking about applying to Georgian?
Contact our student recruitment team to explore your study options.
- [email protected]
Already applied to Georgian?
Connect with the Office of the Registrar for admissions-related questions.
- [email protected]
Are you an international student?
Contact our international recruitment team to learn more about studying at Georgian.
- [email protected]