Students acquire advanced knowledge and skills that prepare them to function as leaders in emergency situations, and practice out of hospital health care. Graduates demonstrate the ability to care for patients from diverse populations and to provide advanced medical treatment. Students experience classroom instruction, online learning, skills and patient simulation labs, as well as hospital, clinical, and field placements.
Tuition and fees
- Visit our tuition and fees page for detailed information on the cost to attend Georgian.
- You can afford this! Explore OSAP as well as awards, scholarships and bursaries to help you pay your way to graduation.
This program includes an internship component. During your final semester, you will take part in a supervised, structured work opportunity and apply your academic knowledge in a setting directly related to your program.
What are the admission requirements for the Advanced Care Paramedic program?
Advanced Care Paramedic admission requirements
- two-year Ontario College paramedic diploma or equivalent
- Advanced Emergency Medical Care Attendant (AEMCA)
- a minimum of 4000 hours of work experience within the last five years with a licensed land paramedic service demonstrated by providing letter(s) from current or recent employers
- applicant must be currently (within 1 year) employed by a licensed land paramedic service
- letter of current good standing from the applicant’s base hospital or regulatory body (from out of province applicants)
- selection testing in Primary Care Paramedic Theory (cut score 70%)
- If English is not your first language, refer to the English Language Proficiency Policy.
Criminal Reference/Vulnerable Sector Check
Placement agencies require an up-to-date clear criminal reference check and vulnerable sector check prior to going out on placement. Students should obtain their criminal reference three months prior to placement; checks conducted earlier may not be considered current. As some jurisdictions require longer lead-time for processing, please check with the program coordinator to ensure you allow for sufficient turn-around time. It is the student’s responsibility to provide the completed document prior to placement start.
NOTE: Individuals who have been charged or convicted criminally and not pardoned will be prohibited from proceeding to a clinical or work placement.
A current AEMCA is required to work as a Paramedic in Ontario. International applicants are required to complete the Ontario equivalency process. Please contact the Ministry of Health and Long Term Care for information regarding the equivalency process.
Completion of the college Clinical Preparedness Permit is required for all hospital and field placements.
Verification and retention of all Clinical Preparedness Permit requirements is outsourced to an external agency. Students are responsible for any fees incurred for this service.
In order to provide quality practicum placements, students will be placed in a variety of agencies or services in the region serviced by the campus. While every effort is made to arrange placements in the planned sequence, placements are dependent upon availability and may need to be completed at a later date. Students are required to provide their own transportation.
What career paths can I take in paramedicine?
Your Advanced Care Paramedic graduate certificate gives you many career opportunities
Graduates who possess provincial certification at the Advanced Emergency Medical Care Assistant (A.E.M.C.A.) level will, after successful completion of the Advanced Care Paramedic (ACP) Program, be eligible to write the Ontario ACP certification exam and gain employment as ACPs with paramedic services.
Paramedic Association of Canada
The Advanced Care Paramedic program at Georgian College follows the National Occupational Competency Profile for Paramedics as approved by the Paramedic Association of Canada and is accredited by EQual™ Accreditation Canada.
What courses are included in the Advanced Care Paramedic graduate certificate program?
8 Program Courses
Semester 1 courses are listed below. For a full list of courses in the program including course descriptions, view the Advanced Care Paramedic program outline.
- PARM 1000 – Advanced Pharmacology
- PARM 1001 – Advanced Patient Care Theory 1
- PARM 1002 – Advanced Care Paramedic Skills
- PARM 1005 – Advanced Patient Care Simulation
Do you have questions about Advanced Care Paramedic? Contact us!
Thinking about applying to Georgian?
Contact our student recruitment team to explore your study options.
Already applied to Georgian?
Connect with the Office of the Registrar for admissions-related questions.
Are you an international student?
Contact our international recruitment team to learn more about studying at Georgian.
- 705.728.1968, ext. 1218