Review frequently asked questions (FAQs) regarding Continuing Education and Part-time Studies at Georgian College.

Frequently asked questions

When are fees due?Georgian College Chevron

Full payment of course fees must be made at the time of registration, whether by mail, phone, company billing or in person. When HST is applicable, it has been included in the course fee.

COVID-19 procedures:

If you are having difficulties registering online, please call 705-722-1511 (press #1). Note that due to remote delivery of services, payments (credit card and other) cannot be taken over the phone, at this time.

How many courses can I take a semester as a part-time student?Georgian College Chevron

As a part-time student, you can take a maximum of three (3) courses per semester.

When is the application deadline for part-time and online programs?Georgian College Chevron

There is not an application deadline for part-time and online programs. You can apply right up until the program starts.

Do I have to pay tuition and is there a deadline?Georgian College Chevron

No, you pay per course. You pay the full course fee at the time of registration.

Is there a difference in the program content and admission requirements between taking it as full-time, part-time, online delivery?Georgian College Chevron

No, the program learning outcomes, content and admission requirements are all the same.

The application process is the same for all programs on OCAS. Only the program code is different as part-time applicants use a unique, part-time program code usually ending in X.

How do I apply to a part-time or online program?
Georgian College Chevron

It depends on the program. Some require an application through OCAS or Georgian, while some programs you can simply start registering in courses.

Learn more about applying to a part-time program.

How do I register in a course?Georgian College Chevron

Register online or call the Office of the Registrar at 705.722.1511 (choose part-time option)

COVID-19 procedures:

If you are having difficulties registering online, please call 705.722.1511 (press #1). Note that due to remote delivery of services, payments (credit card and other) cannot be taken over the phone, at this time.

Who do I talk to about an online OntarioLearn course or program?Georgian College Chevron
How can I take an online course instead of my in-class program course?Georgian College Chevron

You can switch into an online course (if available, check with OntarioLearn) at add/drop, approximately two weeks before each semester start until day 10 of the semester.

Do I have to go through the Credit for Prior Learning team once I’ve taken an OntarioLearn course?Georgian College Chevron

No, OntarioLearn courses are already approved and considered Georgian courses.

How do I know what course to take first in my program?Georgian College Chevron

Refer to the delivery schedule on the program webpage or talk to the program co-ordinator.

I have a general question about taking a course part-time. Who do I contact?Georgian College Chevron

Please email coned@georgiancollege.ca and the appropriate person will answer you promptly.

What services are available while I’m taking a Continuing Education course?Georgian College Chevron

Bookstore, library, cafeteria, academic counselling, services for students with learning and other disabilities, career services, and other services for students are available at many campuses. Contact the specific service for a complete description of services offered and hours of operation.

What is Banner? How do I log in?Georgian College Chevron

Banner is the name of one of our student registration systems. This system is primary used for credit programs and courses. Banner self-service features include web admissions and registration processes, online timetables, online transcripts, online account information including tax receipts and much more. An online payment feature is also available.

Login information:

  • Part-time students who have registered for individual courses through Continuing Education will receive their initial password to the preferred email provided after completing Georgian’s student number application.
  • If you have forgotten your login or password, please reset your password using the password management service or contact IT Support.

Don’t have a student number? Contact the Office of the Registrar. Call 705.722.1511 or email registrar@georgiancollege.ca.

What is a prerequisite?Georgian College Chevron

A prerequisite is a course (or other qualification) required as preparation for entry to another course.

It is your responsibility to ensure that all prerequisite requirements are met before registering for a course.

What are the rules about admission requirements, withdrawal from courses, exemptions, refunds etc.?Georgian College Chevron

Check the policies and procedures for Continuing Education.

Still have questions? Contact your local campus registration staff for clarification.

What are applicable majors? Why do I have to declare a major?Georgian College Chevron

An applicable major indicates that a course can be used to meet the graduation requirements for that specific major. Students registering for credit courses for the first time must declare a program (or major) at the point of registration. The registration office will help with this procedure. Students registering for non-credit courses are not required to declare a program (or major) unless working towards a Georgian College credential.

Is there any financial aid available for Continuing Education students?Georgian College Chevron

There is the Ontario Special Bursary and the Part-time Canada Student Loan that Continuing Education students may be eligible to apply for. Please contact your campus financial aid office for details.

Is the cost of textbooks included in the course fee?Georgian College Chevron

Textbooks are not included in the course fee unless indicated. Not all courses have required texts.

How do I find out if my instructor cannot make the class or if a class is cancelled?Georgian College Chevron

If your instructor is unable to attend, we will attempt to notify you through the telephone numbers recorded by our registration staff. A message will be left if you have voice mail. Please ensure your telephone number is current with our registration office.

How do I register for a Continuing Education course?Georgian College Chevron

You may register online, by phone, in person, or by company billing. Get more information on how to register.

Do I have to pay for parking at the college?Georgian College Chevron

At the Barrie, Midland, Orillia, Owen Sound and South Georgian Bay campuses, parking fees apply. There are no parking systems at the Orangeville or Muskoka campuses.

Please visit our parking page for details by campus and to purchase a parking pass.