In this program, students gain the knowledge and skills of basic fire science, fire suppression principles and practice, first responder emergency care, and fire prevention and public education. This program also provides students with specialty knowledge in confined space and water and ice rescue.
This three semester program meets the following National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) Standards:
NFPA 1001, Standard for Firefighter Professional Qualifications: Firefighter I and Firefighter II,
NFPA 472, Standard for Competence of Responders to Hazardous Materials/Weapons of Mass Destruction Incidents,
NFPA 1006, Standard on Operations and Training for Technical Search and Rescue Incidents.
Firefighting possesses a unique set of medical requirements in order to be hired. Although each service may have specific requirements (which you should research), generally in the Province of Ontario there are general guidelines. We highly suggest that you ensure that you can meet these requirements before entering into the program.
OSSD or equivalent with
- Grade 12 English (C or U)
- Grade 12 Mathematics (C or U)
You must meet ONE of the following requirements to be eligible for admission to these programs:
Secondary school applicants:
- OSS Curriculum: OSSD or equivalent with Grade 12 English (C) or (U) (ENG 4C, ENG 4U); plus any Grade 12 College Mathematics (MAP 4C or MCT 4C), or any Grade 12 U University Mathematics
Non-Secondary school applicants (19 years or older):
- Any credit Communication course and most credit mathematics courses taken at Georgian College
- Equivalent courses in English and mathematics taken through secondary school or Independent Learning Centres (at the general, advanced, college or university level)
- Academic and Career Entrance Certificate (ACE) program with communications and business, apprentice or technical mathematics*
- Mature student testing in English and mathematics that meets the minimum standards for admission (available through most testing services)*
- Ontario High School Equivalency Certificate (GED)
- English, Literature or Communication credit courses and most mathematics credit courses from accredited colleges/universities
Home school applicants:
- Applicants can write the mature student testing in English and mathematics that meets the minimum standards for admission (available through testing services)*
* available from Georgian College. For a complete listing please contact the Office of the Registrar.
Placement agencies require an up-to-date clear criminal reference check and vulnerable sector check prior to going out on placement. Students should obtain their criminal reference three months prior to placement; checks conducted earlier may not be considered current. As some jurisdictions require longer lead-time for processing, please check with the program coordinator to ensure you allow for sufficient turn-around time. It is the student's responsibility to provide the completed document prior to placement start.
NOTE: A record of criminal offences, for which a pardon has not been granted, may prevent students from completing their placements, thereby affecting their ability to graduate.
View the Pre-Service Firefighter Ed/Trn articulations on the Credit Transfer Centre page.
- FIRE1067 Career Preparation 1
- FIRE1068 Introduction to Fire Service
- FIRE1069 Firefighter Fitness 1
- FIRE1070 Fire Protection Systems and Public Education
- FIRE1071 Protective Equipment and Rescue Theory
- FIRE1072 Protective Equipment and Rescue Practical
- FIRE1073 Ladders, Ropes and Illumination Theory
- FIRE1074 Ladders, Ropes and Illumination Practical
- FIRE1075 Emergency First Responder 1 Theory
- FIRE1076 Emergency First Responder 1 Practical
- FIRE1077 Fire Grounds Practice and Testing 1
- FIRE1078 Firefighter Fitness 2
- FIRE1079 Fire Control Theory
- FIRE1080 Fire Control Practical
- FIRE1081 Hazardous Materials Awareness Theory
- FIRE1082 Hazardous Materials Awareness Practical
- FIRE1083 Emergency First Responder 2 Theory
- FIRE1084 Emergency First Responder 2 Practical
- FIRE1085 Fire Streams and Hoses Theory
- FIRE1086 Fire Streams and Hoses Practical
- FIRE1087 Loss Control and Fire Cause Determination Theory
- FIRE1088 Loss Control and Fire Cause Determination Practical
- FIRE1089 Technical Rescue Theory
- FIRE1090 Technical Rescue Practical
- FIRE1091 Fire Ground Practice and Testing 2 Practical
- FIRE1092 Hazardous Materials Operations Theory
- FIRE1093 Hazardous Materials Operations Practical
- FIRE1094 Vehicle Rescue and Extrication Theory
- FIRE1095 Vehicle Rescue and Extrication Practical
- FIRE1096 Career Preparation 2
- FIRE1097 Fire Safety Inspections for Firefighters
- FIRE1098 Fire Ground Practice and Testing 3