Kitchen and bath design is a specialized service within the residential interior decorating and design professions. Building on previous design education and experience, students develop leading-edge, industry standard skills and expertise. Applying knowledge of how to assess client needs, students focus on function-based and aesthetically pleasing design solutions, environmental considerations, and durability. Students refine their design knowledge of industry specific materials, product specifications, fabrication methods, infrastructure issues, and business practices, while developing the skills necessary to create accurate and appealing technical and presentation drawings.
Part-time delivery option
We also offer a part-time delivery format for this program:
- complete the program part-time
- register on a course-by-course basis
- finish the program part-time in two years by taking three courses per semester
Visit the Kitchen and Bath Design part-time program page for delivery details and contact information.
NOTE: Use the major KBDX when applying to the part-time program through ontariocolleges.ca.
Students receive a free NKBA membership and graduates have an opportunity to write their first NKBA exam free of charge.
Graduates may find employment with design studios offering kitchen and bath consultancy services, kitchen and bath specifiers and/or fabricators, building contractors and developers, in retail stores or warehouses that specialize in selling kitchen and bath products and finishes. Students with entrepreneurial skills may become freelance kitchen and bath designers or start up a business.
Applicants with a post-secondary diploma or degree in the following will be admitted to the Kitchen and Bath Graduate Certificate Program without a portfolio review:
- Interior design
- Interior decorating
- Architecture design and technology
- Construction engineering technology
- Structural engineering
- Environmental design
Applicants who do not meet the requirements above may be considered upon submission of a portfolio showing evidence of creative ability, manual drafting and computer aided drafting skills, and industry experience.
- KBDE 1000 - Kitchen Design (Semester 1 / 42 hours)
- KBDE 1001 - Bath Design (Semester 1 / 42 hours)
- KBDE 1002 - Construction Methods (Semester 1 / 42 hours)
- KBDE 1004 - Sustainable Materials and Finishes for Kitchen and Bath Design (Semester 1 / 42 hours)
- KBDE 1005 - Computer Aided Drafting for Kitchen and Bath Design (Semester 1 / 42 hours)
- KBDE 1010 - Professional Practice and Marketing (Semester 1 / 42 hours)
- KBDE 1003 - Specifying and Estimating (Semester 2 / 42 hours)
- KBDE 1006 - Advanced Kitchen Design (Semester 2 / 42 hours)
- KBDE 1007 - Advanced Bath Design (Semester 2 / 42 hours)
- KBDE 1008 - Mechanical, Electrical and Hydraulics (Semester 2 / 42 hours)
- KBDE 1009 - Advanced Computer Aided Drafting for Kitchen and Bath Design (Semester 2 / 42 hours)
- KBDE 1012 - Field Placement for Kitchen and Bath Design (Semester 2 / 125 hours)