Begin your career as a baker or pastry chef! Through hands-on training, students will study traditional and contemporary baking methods, the basics of pastry, cake decorating and contemporary dessert plating. Through classroom lectures, students learn baking theory, nutrition, trade calculations, sanitation, food safety and business concepts to support skills used in the daily operation of a bakery. Using global industry trends, graduates are prepared to critically think, innovate, and to professionally apply business management skills for lifelong career success as a baking professional in all sectors of the food service industry or as entrepreneurs.
Graduates may find work locally, provincially, nationally and internationally as a pastry chef, bakery manager, or retail baker in a variety of settings, including fine dining restaurants, hotel pastry departments, baking suppliers, catering companies, and boutique pastry shop outlets. Graduates also find employment as business owners by combining the skills they have learned with their entrepreneurial spirit to start and operate a successful business.
OSSD or equivalent with
- Grade 12 English (C or U)
Mature students, non-secondary school applicants (19 years or older), and home school applicants may also be considered for admission. Eligibility may be met by applicants who have taken equivalent courses, upgrading, completed their GED, and equivalency testing. For complete details refer to: www.georgiancollege.ca/admissions/policies-procedures/
Applicants who have taken courses from a recognized and accredited post-secondary institution and/or have relevant life/learning experience may also be considered for admission; refer to the Credit Transfer Centre website for details:
Students should be aware that various allergens, including nuts, dairy and shellfish, are routinely used in practical labs.
- BAKE 1000 - Baking Ingredients and Equipment Technology (Semester 1 / 28 hours)
- BAKE 1001 - Baker’s Formulas and Bake Shop Management (Semester 1 / 28 hours)
- BAKE 1002 - Basic Baking Production (Semester 1 / 84 hours)
- BAKE 1003 - Basic Pastry Production (Semester 1 / 84 hours)
- ENTR 1002 - Introduction to Entrepreneurship (Semester 1 / 42 hours)
- SANI 1000 - Basic Food Service Safety and Certification (Semester 1 / 10 hours)
- BAKE 1004 - Baking Science and Food Safety (Semester 2 / 28 hours)
- BAKE 1005 - Nutrition and Business Practices (Semester 2 / 28 hours)
- BAKE 1006 - Advanced Baking Production (Semester 2 / 84 hours)
- BAKE 1007 - Advanced Pastry Production (Semester 2 / 84 hours)
- ENTR 2003 - Small Business Operations (Semester 2 / 42 hours)
- SANI 1001 - Advanced Food Service Safety and Certification (Semester 2 / 10 hours)
- Select 1 course from the communications list during registration. (Semester 1)
- Select 1 course from the communications list during registration. (Semester 2)
General education courses
- Select 1 course from the general education list during registration. (Semester 1)
- Select 1 course from the general education list during registration. (Semester 2)