|Fall 2019||Orillia, Owen Sound|
Students are prepared to educate and care for children from birth to twelve years old. Our program philosophy ensures that students learn the skills necessary to plan and implement play-based learning that supports children in all areas of their development. Students learn how to be responsive caregivers to facilitate a child''s feelings of self worth and social-emotional resiliency. Partnerships with parents, families, other professionals, and community programs are encouraged. These connections form the foundation of working in the field of early learning and care. Field placements offer students the opportunity to practice the skills and techniques that are learned in the classroom. The program offers students a unique balance between theoretical knowledge and practical experience.
Why study Early Childhood Education at Georgian?
At Georgian, you will enjoy moderate class sizes with your peers where the professors will get to know you and are committed to your success.
Our curriculum is current, responsive to the developing changes in the field, and designed to provide you with the needed hands-on practice to develop the confidence and expertise you need to work with young children and their families.
Georgian's ECE program has several articulation agreements with a number of university programs offering many desirable options for our graduates. Get more information about pathways.
Graduates have experienced consistently high job placement rates. It is important that the ECE graduate supports flexibility to meet the changing needs of children and families. Growth is occurring in the area of contractual employment and self employment. Graduates work in a variety of jobs:
OSSD or equivalent with
- Grade 12 English (C or U)
Applicants must have an up-to-date immunization record and a valid Standard First Aid and CPR level C or HCP certificate before proceeding on field placement. It is recommended that First Aid training be completed prior to program entry. These documents must be completed before enrollment in second semester courses.
It is strongly recommended that students accepted into the ECE program have volunteer or past work experience in a licensed child care setting. This experience orients and prepares the student for their academic work in the ECE program.
- ECED 1012 - Child Development (conception to 6 years) (Semester 1 / 42 hours)
- ECED 1013 - Experiences in Language Arts (Semester 1 / 42 hours)
- ECED 1018 - Foundations to ECE (Semester 1 / 42 hours)
- ECED 1029 - Observation and Documentation (Semester 1 / 42 hours)
- ECED 1030 - Music and Movement (Semester 1 / 28 hours)
- ECED 1033 - Supporting Play Experiences (Semester 1 / 42 hours)
- ECED 1021 - Math, Science and Creative Art (Semester 2 / 42 hours)
- ECED 1031 - Field Placement Seminar 1 (Semester 2 / 14 hours)
- ECED 1034 - School Age Development and Programming (Semester 2 / 42 hours)
- ECED 1035 - Personal and Professional Preparation for Field Placement (Semester 2 / 42 hours)
- ECED 2014 - Partnerships with Families (Semester 2 / 42 hours)
- ECED 1014 - Nurturing Infants and Toddlers (Semester 3 / 42 hours)
- ECED 1025 - Children's Health and Wellness (Semester 3 / 42 hours)
- ECED 2011 - Social/Emotional Health and Behaviour (Semester 3 / 42 hours)
- ECED 2021 - Best Practices in Early Intervention (Semester 3 / 42 hours)
- ENTR 1004 - Social Entrepreneurship (Semester 3 / 42 hours)
- ECED 2012 - Administration and Governance (Semester 4 / 42 hours)
- ECED 2023 - Field Placement Seminar 2 (Semester 4 / 14 hours)
- ECED 2025 - Ethics and Advocacy for the Field of ECE (Semester 4 / 42 hours)
- ECED 2027 - Adapting Play and Learning Strategies (Semester 4 / 42 hours)
- ECED 2031 - Curriculum and Practice (Semester 4 / 42 hours)
- Select 1 course from the communications list during registration. (Semester 1)
- Select 1 course from the communications list during registration. (Semester 3)
General education courses
- Select 1 course from the general education list during registration. (Semester 1)
- Select 2 courses from the general education list during registration. (Semester 3)
- ECED 1036 - Field Placement: Early Learning 1- Childcare (Semester 2)
- ECED 2030 - Field Placement: Early Learning 2 Kindergarten and Unique (Semester 4)