Student Code of Conduct – Scope
2.1 – Scope of Code
- 2.1.1 – In the exercise of its disciplinary authority and responsibility, the College treats students as free to organize their own personal lives, behaviour, and associations, subject to all local, municipal, provincial, and federal laws, and the policies or procedures of the College, including this Code of Conduct.
- 2.1.2 – The Code applies to student conduct from admission to a course or program until that person has completed the course or graduated from the program, even though the conduct may occur before classes begin or after classes end, as well as during the academic year and during periods between terms of actual enrolment.
- 2.1.3 – Nothing in this Code shall be construed to limit freedom of expression as provided by law, provided such activities are orderly, do not disrupt college operations, and do not unreasonably interfere with the right of other members of the College community to use and enjoy the college’s learning and working environment and facilities.
- 2.1.4 – Whenever appropriate, the College encourages informal resolution of minor misconduct.
- 2.1.5 – Professional organizations and associations affiliated with specific college programs may have standards of behaviour or a specific code of ethics which students may be responsible to understand and comply with. Any violations of the foregoing standards will be dealt with in accordance with the professional organization or association. Where breach of the foregoing standards is also a breach of this Code of Conduct, the student may be subject to disciplinary sanctions under this Code as determined by the academic Dean or designate or the Director of Campus Safety Services.
- 2.1.6 – This Code applies to:
- 184.108.40.206 – All conduct that occurs on the College campus.
- 220.127.116.11 – Off-campus conduct at a College sanctioned event or when the student is acting as a designated representative of the College or a student organization, club, or team, or under the direct or indirect supervision of the College.
- 18.104.22.168 – Off-campus conduct which adversely affects the rights of a member of the college community to use and enjoy the College’s learning and working environment and facilities, conduct which could adversely affect the health and safety of a member of the College community or conduct that interferes with the achievement of the College’s objects, mission or vision.
- 2.1.7 – Any student who engages in misconduct either directly, indirectly or as an accomplice is subject to the disciplinary sanctions of this Code, regardless of the action or inaction of civil authorities. Nothing in this Code precludes the College from referring an incident to the appropriate law enforcement agency, including Campus Safety Services before, during, or after disciplinary action is taken by the College under this Code.
- 2.1.8 – All students are also subject to all local, municipal, provincial, and federal laws, and/or civil proceedings notwithstanding, and in addition to, disciplinary action taken by the College.
- 2.1.9 – Where the circumstances giving rise to a complaint are also the subject matter of another College policy or procedure, or Codes from affiliated organizations, such as the Ontario College Athletic Association (OCAA) or the Residence (Campus Living Centres), the Dean will work with the administrator responsible for the other policy/procedure or Code to determine under which policy/procedure or Code the matter shall be dealt with first.
- 2.1.10 – Where the subject matter of the complaint is more appropriately dealt with under another college policy or procedure, the Dean or relevant Department Administrator may exercise his/her discretion not to deal with the complaint and recommend that it be dealt with and decided under the other policy or procedure.
Dean of Students
- 705.728.1968, ext. 1400
Campus Safety Services
- Urgent: 705.728.1968, ext. 5100
- Non-urgent: 705.722.5100 or ext. 6111
- Barrie: 705.722.1523
- Midland: 705.526.3666
- Muskoka: 705.646.7629
- Orangeville: 519.940.0331
- Orillia: 705.325.2740, ext. 3113 or 705.329.3113
- Owen Sound: 519.376.0840, ext. 2099
- South Georgian Bay: 705.445.2961