Former or current youth in the care of a child welfare society, who are pursuing their first postsecondary program, may be eligible for a tuition waiver.
- Must have been in child welfare for a minimum of one year.
- Must complete an OSAP application each academic year and submit all required documentation to the Financial Aid Office (including the Verification of Status with Ontario Children’s Aid Society form).
- Must be enrolled in a minimum 60 per cent course load (40 per cent course load for students with a documented Permanent Disability, as per OSAP policy).
- Must submit application prior to the start of studies.
The waiver is valued at the total amount of tuition fees, minus any OSAP non-repayable grant funding and/or any other provincial funding for which the student may be eligible. Students are not required to accept loan funding.
Applying for OSAP
Students who qualify for the Tuition Waiver for Learners in/from Care must complete a full-time OSAP application for their academic year and submit all required supporting documents.
Once your OSAP application has been submitted, you can access your list of supporting documentation to complete your application. Some of the documents required could be:
- MSFAA- Master Student Financial Assistance Agreement
- Declaration and signature forms (student, parent and/or spouse)
- Verification of Status with Ontario Children’s Aid Society form; or confirmation of status from child welfare agency