Winter 2024 Virtual Open House $5,000 tuition grant contest rules and regulations
GEORGIAN RSVP to Virtual Open House for a chance to win $5,000 toward tuition CONTEST (the “Contest”) is open to residents of the Province of Ontario 16 years of age and older.
Any Winner under the age of 18 must have a parent/guardian sign an affidavit of eligibility. The Contest is not open to employees of Georgian College or persons with whom they are domiciled. The Contest is not open to students currently enrolled in a program at Georgian College.
By entering this Contest, each entrant acknowledges that he/she has read and accepts the rules set out below (collectively the “Contest Rules”):
HOW TO ENTER – No purchase is necessary to enter. To participate in the Contest, contestants must:
1. RSVP online to Virtual Winter Open House on or before the Event Date, January 27, 2024.
2. ENTRY TERMS: The Contest opens on December 1, 2023 at 10 a.m. (EDT), and to be eligible, RSVPs must be received by 8 p.m. (EDT) on January 27, 2024. Maximum one (1) entry per person. More than one entry from the same person will void all entries from that person. Use of any automated system to submit entries is prohibited and will result in disqualification.
3. CONTEST DRAW & NOTIFICATION: One winner (“Selected Entrant”) will be selected from among all entries received in a random draw conducted at noon on February 9, 2024 at Georgian College in Barrie, Ontario. Odds of being selected depend on the total number of entrants. The Selected Entrant will be notified by Georgian College by email. The Selected Entrant will be required to sign and return a Contest Winner Agreement that includes a declaration of eligibility, liability waiver and a publicity release within 72 hours of notification (the “Contact Period”). It is the entrant’s responsibility to set his/her account settings to accept email messages from Georgian College.
The selected entrant must also correctly answer a time-limited, mathematical skill-testing question to be administered by email before being declared the winner (the “Winner”). Upon correctly answering the question, the selected entrant will be declared the Winner.
If a selected entrant: (i) does not respond within two (2) attempts or before the end of the Contact Period (whichever occurs first); or (ii) if there is a return of any email notification as undeliverable; or (iii) fails to correctly answer the skill-testing question; or (iv) fails to return the contest documents within the specified time; or (v) does not confirm acceptance in an eligible Georgian College program by the deadlines provided by the Office of the Registrar in their letter of acceptance, he/she will forfeit their prize and an alternate entrant will be selected. If the second selected entrant does not meet the requirements (i-v), Georgian College will not award the prize.
In the event of a dispute regarding the identity of a participant’s Entry, the Entry will be deemed to have been made by the authorized holder of the email account at the time the Entry was made.
In the event that the selected entrant does not comply with these Contest Rules, and alternative entrant will be selected from the remaining entries.
4. PRIZES: Georgian College will award one prize of atuition grant valued at up to five thousand dollars ($5,000) to be applied toward the tuition of a full-time or part-time program offered by Georgian College. The prize must be accepted as awarded and may not be transferred or exchanged or combined or used in concert with another contest or another offer. The prize cannot be converted in cash or exchanged for another prize. If a winner is registered in a program for which tuition is less than $5,000, the winner will receive an amount equal to the amount of their tuition.
To claim the prize, a selected entrant will be required:
- To enrol in a full-time or part-time program at Georgian in one of the semesters outlined in Section 6.
- To meet all the entrance requirements or course prerequisites for the College program selected; and
- If a selected entrant is ineligible, or fails to comply with the provisions described above within the proscribed time limit, the prize may be forfeited.
The tuition grant amount can only be applied toward first-year tuition; the tuition grant amount will not cover books; student fees, the non-refundable $250 tuition deposit, or any other items or charges. No interest will be paid on any cash prizes. All taxes, fees, and surcharges on prizes are the sole responsibility of the prize winner.
The tuition grant will be applied to the recipient’s Banner account after the add/drop date in two instalments – half of tuition up to a maximum of $2,500 for the first semester, and half of tuition up to a maximum of $2,500 in second semester. If the Winner has already paid his or her tuition in full, the grant will be applied to the following semester.
5. RELEASES: The Winner, or the Winner`s legal guardian if the Winner is under the age of 18, must sign a liability waiver and publicity release, releasing Georgian College, its Board of Governors, its advertising and promotional agencies, the affiliates and related entities of the foregoing and all respective directors, officers, partners, employees, agents representatives, successors and assignees from any liability in connection with this Contest or the Prize awarded as a condition to and in advance of receiving the tuition grant prize, or the prize will be forfeited.
6. ELIGIBILITY: To be eligible to claim the prize, the Selected Entrant must confirm acceptance in a Georgian College program that starts in May 2024, September 2024, January 2025, or May 2025 by the deadlines provided by the Office of the Registrar in their letter of acceptance. Georgian Collegereserves the right to verify whether the Winner satisfies all Contest admissibility criteria. Georgian College’s rulings are final and without appeal in all matters related to the promotion and the awarding of the Prize. Any dispute relating to the Contest (including, without limitation, a dispute as to whether an entrant has complied with all of the Contest Rules) shall be resolved by Georgian College in their sole and absolute discretion. All decisions of Georgian College shall be final and binding.
Any use of robotic, automatic, or programmed entry methods shall be deemed as tampering and will void all entries by that person. All entries that are incomplete, or irregular, that have been submitted through illicit means, or do not conform to or satisfy any condition of the Contest Rules may be disqualified by Georgian College. Georgian College takes no responsibility for delayed, misdirected or late entries, or for typographical or other production errors. Georgian College is not responsible for any errors or omissions in printing or advertising this Contest. All entries become the property of Georgian College and will not be returned.
7. ONLINE ENTRY: Georgian College assumes no responsibility for failure of the internet or the Georgian College website during the Contest, for any problems or technical malfunction of any telephone network or lines, computer online systems, servers, access providers, computer equipment, software, failure of any email or traffic congestion on the internet or at any website, or any combination thereof including any injury or damage to an entrant’s or any other person’s computer related to registration or entry in the Contest. Georgian College reserves the right in their sole discretion to cancel or suspend the Contest should a virus, bug or other cause beyond their reasonable control corrupt the security or proper administration of the Contest. Any attempt to deliberately damage any website or to undermine the legitimate operation of this promotion is a violation of criminal and civil laws. Should such an attempt be made, Georgian College reserves the right to seek remedies and damages to the fullest extent permitted by law.
If the identity of an entrant is disputed, the authorized account holder of the email address submitted at the time of entry will be deemed to be the entrant. The individual assigned to the email address for the domain associated with the submitted email address is considered the authorized account holder. A selected entrant may be required to provide proof that he/she is the authorized account holder of the email address associated with the selected Entry. All entries must be submitted from a valid email account that may be identified by reverse domain name search. The sole determinant of time for the purposes of receipt of a valid entry in this Contest will be the Contest server machine(s).
8. NO WARRANTY REGARDING NOTIFICATION: Georgian College provides no warranty as to its ability to contact a Selected Entrant by email or phone. Georgian College assumes no responsibility for failure of the internet in the course of notifying a Selected Entrant, irrespective of the nature of the failure (for example, technical malfunction of any telephone network or lines, computer online systems, servers, access providers, computer equipment, software, failure of any email or traffic congestion on the internet or at any website).
9. CONSENT: The winner (“Selected Entrant”) consents to sharing their story on Georgian College’s communication channels including but not limited to photos, video or audio recording to be used for promotional purposes only, including college publications and use in college-related publicity. The information provided will not be used for any other purposes.
10. GENERAL: This Contest is void where prohibited by law and is subject to all applicable federal, provincial and municipal laws and regulations. By entering the contest, participants agree to be bound by these official rules and by the decisions of the contest judges, which shall be final on all matters relating to this contest. All entries become the property of Georgian College and none will be returned. The personal information provided by entrants will only be used for the purpose of administration of the contest, unless the entrant otherwise agrees.
11. CONTACT: Inquiries may be directed to: Corporate Marketing and Communications, E203L, Georgian College, One Georgian Drive, Barrie, ON, L4M 3X9.
12. PRIVACY: Georgian College is compliant with the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FIPPA) and Canada’s Anti-Spam Legislation (CASL), and endeavors to protect personal information in accordance with these laws. The personal information requested during the contest is collected under the legal authority of the Ontario Colleges of Applied Arts and Technology Act, 2002 and in accordance with Sections 38(2) and 41(1) of FIPPA and in compliance with CASL. Personal information provided will not be used for any purpose other than (1) to provide information about this contest or (2) programs and services offered by Georgian College.
By RVSPing and entering the contest, the entrant is providing consent to permit Georgian College to contact the entrant via email to provide information about the contest and about Georgian College programs and events. The entrant may withdraw his or her consent at any time by contacting 705.728.1968, ext. 5770, or AccessPrivacy@GeorgianCollege.ca. For further information about the information requested on this form or the purpose for which it will be used, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org ; for more information about FIPPA, please contact the Access and Privacy Office at 705.728.1968, ext. 5770, mail us at Privacy Officer, Georgian College, One Georgian Drive, Room C327, Barrie, ON, L4M 3X9 or AccessPrivacy@GeorgianCollege.ca