This one year program is designed to provide paramedics with advanced knowledge and skills for practicing emergency health care and to prepare them to function as a leader in emergency situations. Graduates of the program will have demonstrated the ability to safely and competently care for patients of all ages and administer advanced medical treatment measures. The program is comprised of classroom instruction, skills and patient simulation labs, clinical placement and field placement.
The Paramedic program follows the National Occupational Competency Profile for Paramedics as approved by the Paramedic Association of Canada and is accredited by EQual™ Accreditation Canada.
Graduates who already possess provincial certification at the Emergency Medical Care Assistant (E.M.C.A.) level, will, after successful completion of the Advanced Care Paramedic (ACP) Program, be eligible to write the Ontario ACP certification exam and gain employment as ACPs with ambulance services throughout the province or across Canada.
- Two-year Ontario College Paramedic diploma or equivalent
- Advanced Emergency Medical Care Attendant (AEMCA) license
- A minimum of 4,000 hours of work experience within the last five years with a licensed paramedic service demonstrated by providing letter(s) from current or recent employers.
- Applicant must be currently employed by a licensed paramedic service.
- Letter of current good standing from the applicant’s base hospital or regulatory body (from out of province applicants).
- Selection testing in Primary Care Paramedic Theory (cut score 70%)
- Letter from your base hospital or regulatory body (for out of province applicants) indicating current good standing
- If English is not your first language, refer to the English Language Proficiency Policy.
Criminal Reference/Vulnerable Sector Check
Placement agencies require an up-to-date clear criminal reference check and vulnerable sector check prior to going out on placement. Students should obtain their criminal reference three months prior to placement; checks conducted earlier may not be considered current. As some jurisdictions require longer lead-time for processing, please check with the program coordinator to ensure you allow for sufficient turn-around time. It is the student's responsibility to provide the completed document prior to placement start.
NOTE: Individuals who have been charged or convicted criminally and not pardoned will be prohibited from proceeding to a clinical or work placement.
A current advanced care EMCA licence is required to work as a Paramedic in Ontario. International applicants are required to complete the Ontario equivalency process. Please contact the Ministry of Health and Longterm Care for information regarding the equivalency process.
Completion of college immunization record is required for field placements.
In order to provide quality practicum placements, students will be placed in a variety of agencies or services in the region serviced by the campus. While every effort is made to arrange placements in the planned sequence, placements are dependent upon availability and may need to be completed at a later date. Students are required to provide their own transportation.
- PARM 1000 - Advanced Pharmacology (Semester 1 / 42 hours)
- PARM 1001 - Advanced Patient Care Theory 1 (Semester 1 / 56 hours)
- PARM 1002 - Advanced Care Paramedic Skills (Semester 1 / 42 hours)
- PARM 1005 - Advanced Patient Care Simulation (Semester 1 / 42 hours)
- PARM 1003 - Advanced Patient Care Theory 2 (Semester 2 / 56 hours)
- PARM 1004 - Advanced Professional Practice (Semester 2 / 42 hours)
- PARM 1007 - Clinical Practice (Semester 2 / 240 hours)
- PARM 1006 - Unifying Concepts in Paramedicine (Semester 3 / 42 hours)
- PARM 1008 - Field Internship (Semester 3 / 400 hours)