Leading social innovation for social change
Social innovation is about using creativity to develop business solutions which improve the well-being of people and society. This three-week program provides international students with opportunities to develop the entrepreneurial skills and mindsets required in social innovation and global leadership to create change in the world. The program focuses on global citizenship, team building, problem solving, leadership development and inter-cultural communication.
Georgian is the first college in Canada designated as a Changemaker College by Ashoka U for its role as a leader in social innovation and changemaking in higher education. The designation falls under the Changemaker Campus program, which recognizes over 50 colleges and universities globally that have embedded social innovation and changemaking into their culture, programming and operations.
Georgian College expertise
With 50 years of experience as a provider of quality education and training, Georgian has immediate and broad access to an enviable range of training, consulting, and educational resources and expertise. Many of its faculty are dual professionals who have master’s degrees in various specialized disciplines and current industry expertise. Faculty members have taken advantage of the ongoing professional development available to them in the areas of curriculum development, adult learning and specific subject matter training. Georgian has designed and developed comprehensive academic programs for numerous sector groups, individual corporate clients, and in specialized skill areas.
Georgian College applies all aspects of quality curriculum and program development principles and practices to all design and development projects. The college has an extensive range of subject matter experts and curriculum specialists, supported by industry networks and the Georgian Centre for Teaching and Learning.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will reliably demonstrate the ability to:
- improve English communication skills
- practise functional language skills through a variety of Canadian leadership and teamwork situations
- integrate social innovation vocabulary into spoken and written communications
- practise effective presentation techniques
- understand the role and importance that global leadership plays in organizational development and business success
- learn some of the practices and styles of global leadership and social innovation
- develop practical leadership skills, including critical and creative thinking, communication, collaboration and conflict resolution
- compare and contrast global social and community solutions
- utilize innovative techniques to find creative solutions for real world issues
Explore the program
Changemaking is part of Georgian’s DNA – we are known for it – and it is one of the reasons why we are the only college in Canada designated as a Changemaker College by Ashoka U. This is the leading designation for social innovation in higher education. Georgian students, faculty, staff and partners are proof that with drive, inspiration and support, anyone can make a positive difference in our world.
The team at Georgian believes small acts can lead to big change. Grassroots efforts can turn into large scale movements. Ideas can spark innovations that make our communities and planet greener, healthier, safer, stronger and more inclusive.
This three-week, non-credit program is designed to create the leaders of tomorrow. The program includes classroom work as well as practical experiences. By working with a diverse group of global learners, program participants will be:
- immersed in an environment infused with creativity and innovation
- encouraged to utilize critical thinking skills, innovative problem solving techniques and bold leadership mindsets
- empowered to communicate their ideas from a global perspective during highly interactive learning activities
- supported to promote the successful execution of their specific program goals
- engaged in community-based activities to learn from local experts and changemaking organizations
To ensure successful group interactions and the realization of individual program goals, Georgian College has designed the program at an intermediate English level to accelerate positive change in our world.
Essential employability skills outcomes
This course will also aid in the development of the following essential employability skills outcomes:
- engage in conflict productively and work towards conflict resolution through various negotiation strategies
- communicate and respond clearly and concisely in a manner that ensures effective leadership communication
- interact with others in groups or teams in ways that contribute to effective working relationships and the achievement of common goals
- demonstrate respect for the diverse opinions, values, belief systems and contributions of others
- use a variety of critical thinking skills to anticipate and solve problems while taking responsibility for one’s own actions, decisions and effective time management skills
- Accommodation and custodianship option available – homestay with Canadian family or on-campus residence
- Orientation and campus tour
- Guided excursions to local tourist attractions
- Georgian College Statement of Completion with 80 per cent attendance and completion of all course assignments
- Closing ceremony
Sample weekly schedule
|Morning||Registration and orientation||Community social innovation activity||Leadership in organizations||Guest speaker||English for changemakers||Guided excursion to local tourist attraction|
|Afternoon||Team building activity||Community social innovation activity||Adventures in leadership||Concepts and case studies||Team project||Guided excursion to local tourist attraction|
- Teaching methodology supports adult learning theory and principles while respecting participants’ various learning styles
- Georgian College, Barrie Campus, One Georgian Dr., Barrie, ON L4M 3X9
- July 6 to 24, 2020
Who can participate?
- Global learners with intermediate English skills (recommended minimum equivalency: minimum IELTS 5.5 or TOEFL 50-59 or CAMLA 6)
- Anyone aged 16 and older
- Program cost: $2,550
- Accommodation options available:
- residence (without meals): $780
- residence (with meals: lunch and dinner, Monday to Friday): $1,430
- homestay with Canadian family (three meals a day, seven days a week): $1,200
- custodianship fee (compulsory for participants under 18 years of age and opting for homestay): $270
Payment and registration process
Please register online through the Georgian College Marketplace. For more information, please email Siddhant Taneja.
Want to learn more about studying at Georgian as an international student?
Georgian’s international team is here to help you find a program that is right for you and help you settle into your new home at one of our seven campuses in Ontario.
Segal International Centre
C279, Barrie Campus