Georgian College expertise
With 50 years of experience as a provider of quality education and training, Georgian has immediate and broad access to an enviable range of training, consulting, and educational resources and expertise. Many of its faculty are dual professionals who have master’s degrees in various specialized disciplines and current industry expertise. Faculty members have taken advantage of the ongoing professional development available to them in the areas of curriculum development, adult learning, and specific subject matter training. Georgian has designed and developed comprehensive academic programs for numerous sector groups, individual corporate clients, and in specialized skill areas.
Georgian College applies all aspects of quality curriculum and program development principles and practices to all design and development projects. The college has an extensive range of subject matter experts and curriculum specialists, supported by industry networks and the Georgian Centre for Teaching and Learning.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will reliably demonstrate the ability to:
- participate in opportunities to practise English communication skills
- respond to a narrative and apply photographic skills to interpret a personal vision
- apply established standards of design and approaches to evaluating and critiquing photographic images
- correctly operate a digital camera using manual and automatic adjustments in order to produce photographs that effectively communicate information regarding a particular subject matter
- evaluate light and lighting situations in order to produce images that are visually stimulating and aesthetically pleasing
- create correctly exposed and aesthetically pleasing photographs that demonstrate a basic knowledge of camera, lens, lighting, subject and design
- assess the body of work produced in this class and compile a photographic component for the final presentation
Explore the program
In this program, participants acquire foundational knowledge related to the evaluation and application of photography. They will explore a variety of locations valuing the culture and history of the Canadian experience. By working with a group of global learners, program participants will be immersed in an environment infused with creativity and innovation. Participants also acquire the knowledge and skills necessary to create motion imagery according to established standards of design and evaluation.
To ensure successful group interactions and the realization of individual program goals, Georgian College has designed the program at an intermediate English level to accelerate positive change in our world!
Additional program features:
- accommodation option available – homestay with a Canadian family (not included in the price)
- medical insurance for the duration of the program
- airport pick-up with greeter service and drop-off
- city bus pass
- orientation to program and campus tour
- welcome meal and closing ceremony
- 25 hours per week of programming
- program supply materials
- guided excursions to local tourist attractions
- Georgian College Statement of Completion with 80 per cent attendance and completion of all course assignments
- Teaching methodology supports adult learning theory and principles while respecting participants’ various learning styles
- Georgian College, Downtown Barrie Campus, 5 Ross Street, Barrie, ON
- June 1 to 19, 2020
Who can participate?
- Global learners with intermediate English skills (recommended minimum equivalency: minimum IELTS 5.5 or TOEFL 50-59 or CAMLA 6)
- Anyone aged 16 and older
- Note: a two- to three- week English camp can be set up to help students become more comfortable with the language. This will be at an additional cost.
- Program cost: $2,550
- Accommodation options:
- residence (without meals): $780
- residence (with meals, lunch and dinner, Monday to Friday): $1,430
- homestay with Canadian family (three meals a day, seven days a week): $1,200
- custodianship fee (compulsory for participants under 18 years of age and opting for homestay): $270
Payment and registration process
Please register online through the Georgian College Marketplace. For more information, please email Siddhant Taneja.
Barrie is located about 60 minutes north of Toronto. Located on the shores of Lake Simcoe, Barrie is surrounded by natural scenery, including sandy beaches, scenic hills and parks. The Barrie area is Toronto’s playground. It offers everything a big city has, but in a smaller, greener, safer and more peaceful environment.
Sample weekly schedule
|Morning||Registration and orientation||Composing photographs||Creation and evaluation of photographic imagery||Camera operation, equipment and image capture||Motion imagery||Guided excursion to local tourist attraction|
|Afternoon||Team building activity||Light and lighting on location||Exploratory trip for cultural learning and photography||Visual concepts||Team project||Guided excursion to local tourist attraction|
Want to learn more about studying at Georgian as an international student?
Georgian’s international team is here to help you find a program that is right for you and help you settle into your new home at one of our seven campuses in Ontario.
Segal International Centre
C279, Barrie Campus