These events are a great opportunity to get the information you need to succeed at Georgian. It’s also a good time to make friends and get familiar with the spaces and services you’ll be using while you’re a student.
What to bring with you
- study permit
- acceptance letter
- official test score: IELTS, TOEFL, TOEIC (for EAP students)
If you arrive at Georgian before the dates listed below, please visit the Segal International Centre on the second floor of the Student Services Centre (C building) at the Barrie Campus.
Important dates for international postsecondary students
If you are in a certificate, diploma, graduate certificate or degree program you must virtually attend the college-wide orientation, and the international info panel. See below for dates.
|Orientation||starting May 19|
Orientation for English for Academic Purposes students
EAP orientation is a two-day mandatory orientation for all new EAP students. You must attend both days. See below for dates.
|Summer part A 2020||May 11 to 13|
|Summer part B 2020||May 11 to 13|
The Segal International Centre plans many events to show you the best of Georgian and the best of Ontario. Examples of day trips include:
- Canada’s Wonderland – Canada’s premier amusement park
- Niagara Falls
- Wasaga Beach – the longest freshwater beach in the world
- Toronto – the big city is only 45 minutes away
Please follow the international centre on Facebook for a list of all upcoming events.
Getting involved on campus will not only help you make new friends from around the world, but it will also help you get the most out of your time here, by immersing yourself in Canadian and Georgian culture.
Here are some of our suggestions for getting involved on campus:
- There are always opportunities to volunteer at Georgian and in the community. Most positions are posted on TandemPark. Create an account to find new opportunities.
- GCSA is the Georgian College Students’ Association. It is a group of elected students who represent the student body. There are many different ways to be a part of the GCSA. If you are interested, visit them in A162 at the Barrie Campus.
- The GCSA supports many student clubs. You can join one or start your own! Search the list of active clubs.
- Join a varsity or intramural sports team. You can also attend a fitness class, exercise in the fitness centre or gym, or attend one of the Varisty team home games. There are also various tournaments held throughout the year. Visit the Georgian Grizzlies for more information.
- This is a great way for international students to sit down with each other and practice their English skills in a relaxed environment. Check out the current schedule in Room C275 at the Barrie Campus.
- Global Talkafé facilitates informal conversations/information sessions several times a month. They help provide more information on important topics related to international students such as awards, working in Canada, and resumé building. Follow us on Facebook to view upcoming events.
- Make friends with Canadian classmates, ask them questions about their background and what they like to do for fun. When asked to work in groups, try to partner up with students from different countries.
- Attend college events. Regularly visit the college events calendar and the International Facebook page to learn what is coming up next.
Stay connected online
Student and alumni stories
Georgian College is home to more 2,500 international students from more than 60 countries. Each student travels here to experience Georgian in their own, unique way. Hear what our students have to say about life at Georgian and how our alumni are using their Georgian skills and connections around the world.
Want to learn more about studying at Georgian as an international student?
Georgian’s international team is here to help you find a program that is right for you and help you settle in to your new home at one of our seven campuses in Ontario.