International Orientation is a great opportunity to get information you need to succeed at Georgian. It’s also a good time to make friends and get familiar with the spaces and services you’ll be using while you’re a student.
What to bring with you
- study permit
- acceptance letter
- official test score: IELTS, TOEFL, TOEIC (for EAP students)
If you arrive at Georgian before orientation, please visit the Segal International Centre on the second floor of the Student Services Centre (C building) at the Barrie Campus.
Orientation for English for Academic Purposes students
|Winter 2019||Feb. 27 and 28|
|Summer 2019||May 1 and 2|
|June 26 and 27|
|Fall 2019||Aug. 28 and 29|
|Oct. 23 and 24|
Orientation is mandatory for English for Academic Purposes (EAP) students. Please book flights accordingly and arrange to be on campus for orientation.
In addition to international orientation, you can attend the college-wide orientation. Details can be found on the main orientation page.
Orientation schedule and registration
Orientation schedules will be posted about one week before orientation.
The registration link will be posted about one to two weeks before orientation.
Both will be found on this page under the orientation dates.
The Segal International Centre plans many events to show you the best of Georgian and the best of Ontario. Examples of day trips include:
- Canada’s Wonderland – Canada’s premier amusement park
- Niagara Falls
- Wasaga Beach – the longest freshwater beach in the world
- Toronto – the big city is only 45 minutes away
Please follow the international centre on Facebook for a list of all upcoming events.
Getting involved on campus will not only help you make new friends from around the world, but it will also help you get the most out of your time here, by immersing yourself in Canadian and Georgian culture.
Here are some of our suggestions for getting involved on campus:
- There are always opportunities to volunteer at Georgian and in the community. Most positions are posted on TandemPark. Create an account to find new opportunities.
- GCSA is the Georgian College Students’ Association. It is a group of elected students who represent the student body. There are many different ways to be a part of the GCSA. If you are interested, visit them in A162 at the Barrie Campus.
- The GCSA supports many student clubs. You can join one or start your own! Search the list of active clubs.
- Join a varsity or intramural sports team. You can also attend a fitness class, exercise in the fitness centre or gym, or attend one of the Varisty team home games. There are also various tournaments held throughout the year. Visit the Georgian Grizzlies for more information.
- This is a great way for international students to sit down with each other and practice their English skills in a relaxed environment. Check out the current schedule in Room C275 at the Barrie Campus.
- Global Talkafé facilitates informal conversations/information sessions several times a month. They help provide more information on important topics related to international students such as awards, working in Canada, and resumé building. Follow us on Facebook to view upcoming events.
- Make friends with Canadian classmates, ask them questions about their background and what they like to do for fun. When asked to work in groups, try to partner up with students from different countries.
- Attend college events. Regularly visit the college events calendar and the International Facebook page to learn what is coming up next.
Stay connected online
Once you’ve been accepted to Georgian, feel free to reach out to one of our student ambassadors. They will be happy to answer your questions about preparing to move to Canada and how to settle in once you arrive.
Home Country: India
Speaks: English, Hindi, Marathi, Gujarati, Punjabi
Program: Fitness and Health Promotion
I can’t wait to share my journey with you to help you transition from your home country to Canada. I am also a part of Georgian College Students’ Association (GCSA) as the Georgian Food Locker (student food bank) ambassador. Feel free to stop by at the office. I would love to speak with you. Please do not hesitate to get in touch if you have questions about Georgian, Barrie and Canada.
Yoon Chan Choi
Home Country: South Korea
Speaks: Korean, English
Program: Aviation Management
If you have any questions about our school life or getting adapted in Canada (or anything), please feel free to ask me. We are here to help!
Home Country: India
Speaks: English, Hindi
Program: Aviation Management
I am in my last year of my studies. So far my experience includes working on- and off-campus and volunteering in many college and outside events. This all gives me a good knowledge to help you all when you arrive here or even before you arrive. I would just like you all to remember after you come here that “In the middle of every difficulty lies an opportunity.” I am always here to help you anytime.
Home Country: Ukraine
Speaks: Russian, Ukrainian, English, Chinese
I would be very happy to help you with all your questions or concerns that you might have about Georgian College, Barrie and Canada in general. Please don’t hesitate to contact me and I will share all the information and experience I got during my stay in Canada.
Pei-Ching (Alice) Shih
Home Country: Taiwan
Speaks: Mandarin, English
Program: Practical Nursing
I was an international student before, and I cannot wait to share the experience and information I have with you. Don’t hesitate to contact me if you have any questions or concerns about Canada, Orangeville and school.
Home Country: Canada
Program: Registered Practical Nursing
I am a proud graduate of the Personal Support Worker program and am now in my second semester of the Register Practical Nursing program. I am excited to get to know everyone. I am so thrilled to connect with all of you on this wonderful journey you have started. Please send any questions you may have I am here to assist you, throughout this awesome adventure.
Owen Sound Campus
South Georgian Bay Campus
Home Country: Canada
Program: Business General
I am a Business Student who shares a passion for learning and helping those in need. Before deciding to come back to school I was in Punjab, India working at an International College as a teacher. I thoroughly enjoyed teaching in a new country and I am excited to be in my new role as International Student Ambassador. Please visit me in the GCSA office, Owen Sound Campus.
Home Country: Ghana
Program: Social Service Worker
I am excited to provide you with an authentic representation of the Georgian experience. I am all set to share my wonderful experience here with you. I look forward to meeting you and don’t hesitate to ask anything. I wish you a very happy, healthy and productive period of study!
Student and alumni stories
Georgian College is home to more 2,500 international students from more than 60 countries. Each student travels here to experience Georgian in their own, unique way. Hear what our students have to say about life at Georgian and how our alumni are using their Georgian skills and connections around the world.
Want to learn more about studying at Georgian as an international student?
Georgian’s international team is here to help you find a program that is right for you and help you settle in to your new home at one of our seven campuses in Ontario.