Free money: How to get college cash you don’t need to repay
Jan. 18, 2023
Georgian offers a variety of awards, scholarships and bursaries. You can apply for them online. Unlike OSAP or student lines of credit, you don’t need to pay this money back.
Applying is easy
With just one online application, you can help fund your future! Remember to update your application at the start of each term. Some opportunities require supplemental information to provide proof that you’ve met eligibility criteria. Learn how to apply, and watch a video tutorial of the application system.
Awards and scholarships
The average value of Georgian awards and scholarships is $1,000. With more than 650 available each year with a combined value of over $750,000, we’re confident there’s an award that fits you.
Some ways we select recipients
- demonstrated community involvement
- financial need
- academic achievements
- area of study
- sport and athletics
As you can see, it’s not all about your marks. You also don’t need to be fresh out of high school or in your first year of study. You don’t even need to be enrolled full-time! There truly are awards and scholarships for Georgian students from all walks of life.
Bursaries are usually paid based on financial need, but criteria vary. Their minimum value is $500. Georgian disburses more than $3 million in bursaries every single year, so it’s worth applying!
Types of bursaries available
- Georgian Bursary: For full-time domestic students who need extra help paying for postsecondary school.
- Georgian Technology Bursary: For full-time domestic students who require new technology during their study period.
- Georgian Travel Bursary: For full-time domestic students who commute more than 30 kilometres to campus by car or transit.
- Emergency Bursary: For full-time domestic students facing a financial emergency because of events beyond their control.
- Indigenous Student Bursary: For Indigenous students (self-identified through Georgian’s online form) in financial need.
- Métis Nation of Ontario Bursary: For students of Métis ancestry.
- Ontario First Generation Bursary: Offers extra funding to students whose parents never attended postsecondary studies, and who have also applied for OSAP
When to apply
Our application cycles are in the fall, winter and summer terms. For most opportunities, you must complete your general application before the end of each cycle in order to be considered. The application cycles are:
- Fall: Aug. 15 to Sept. 30, 2022
- Winter: Dec. 12, 2022 to Jan. 27, 2023
- Summer: April 10 to May 26. 2023
We’re happy to help! If you have questions about award, scholarship or bursary opportunities, read our frequently asked questions or contact the Financial Aid and Awards office.
This article was originally published in March 2019. It was updated and re-shared in October 2021 and January 2023.