FIRST Robotics Canada District Competition – Georgian College Barrie Campus
FIRST Robotics Canada District Competition – Georgian College Barrie Campus presented by the Nissan Canada Foundation
The robots are coming back to Georgian’s Barrie Campus from March 15 to 17, 2024. In the FIRST Robotics competition, teams of high school students will build, program and compete in an epic battle that combines the excitement of a championship sporting event with the practical application of science and technology. This year’s theme is Charged Up.
- Friday, March 15: set up and load in
- Saturday, March 16: opening ceremonies at 11 a.m. with qualifying matches starting at 11:30 a.m.
- Sunday, March 17: finals, award ceremonies, and tear down
Information for competing teams
How we communicate with you
In addition to posting details and updates on the official FIRST Robotics Canada website (e.g., event agenda, list of competitors, and helpful information on food, accommodations, load in, parking, we communicate with teams via email. Team mentors should make sure to check their inboxes regularly for important tips and reminders.
Things to do while you’re here
We’re looking forward to hosting you on campus! Event T-shirts will be for sale. Team mentors are asked to watch for an invitation to have team members participate in a fun activity on the Friday evening while waiting for the full teams to enter the event.
Information for volunteers
Close to 100 student and employee volunteers are needed to make this event a success, and we need human volunteers! Technological knowledge is not required for most positions.
What’s in it for you?
- get FREE food
- receive a FREE T-shirt
- pick from nearly 50 roles, from judge to crowd control
- see cool robots in action
- support the next generation of tech super-stars!
- Georgian students can add this experience to their co-curricular records
What you can expect
- clear role expectations
- tools and training to do the job
- respect for your time
What we’re looking for
- availability over a full day
- availability for training (date to be confirmed)
How to become a FIRST Robotics volunteer
- The first step is to register on the FIRST Robotics website, which will allow you to access the FIRST Robotics Volunteer Dashboard – see the step-by-step registration user guide for more info about the process.
- Pass the Youth Protection Process (if applicable). You’ll receive an email when you’ve passed the screening process one to two days after completing.
- Sign up to volunteer at FIRST Inspires. Visit firstroboticscanada.org/events to find the Georgian College event (ONT DISTRICT GEORGIAN EVENT, March 15 to 17).
- Complete role-specific training once you’ve been assigned your role by the volunteer coordinator – they’ll be your main point of contact for training and event logistics.
Have questions? Email Volunteer Coordinator Mark Gatenby at Mark.Gatenby@GeorgianCollege.ca
Want more info?
Vaccinations and masking requirements (FIRST Robotics Canada)
NOTE: masks must be worn at all in-person FIRST Robotics Canada events in 2023*. Please visit the FIRST Robotics Canada website for COVID-19 protocols for the 2023 event season.
*This is a requirement of FIRST Robotics Canada.
Advanced technology at Georgian College
Georgian hosts this event in part because the college truly believes in the importance of training and inspiring the next generation of changemakers and STEM (science, technology, engineering and math) specialists.
That’s also why Georgian has invested in state-of-the-art robotics, mechatronics, electronics and environmental labs.
The FIRST Robotics Canada District Competition – Georgian College Barrie Campus is presented by the Nissan Canada Foundation and supported by the following sponsors: