Students focus on the acquisition of the knowledge, skills and attitudes required to assist veterinary professionals in the practice of Veterinary Medicine and also in animal care settings. Students learn the handling and restraint of animals as well as basic animal husbandry and clinical procedures. Emphasis is on companion animals. Students also learn a variety of basic diagnositic laboratory techniques, surgical support procedures and receptionist and client relation skills. Students learn and reinforce their skills and knowledge through a combination of lecture and hands on laboratory practice in the on-site veterinary hospital.
OSSD or equivalent with
- Grade 12 English (C or U)
- Grade 11 or 12 Biology (C or U)
First-year enrolment is limited, satisfying minimum entrance requirements does not guarantee admission.
You must meet ONE of the following requirements to be eligible for admission to these programs:
Secondary school applicants:
- OSS Curriculum: OSSD or equivalent with Grade 12 English (C) or (U) (ENG 4C, ENG 4U); plus Grade 11 College or Grade 11 or 12 University Biology (SBI3C, SBI3U, SBI4U)
Non-Secondary school applicants (19 years or older):
- Any credit Communication course and most credit biology courses taken at Georgian College
- College preparatory programs including those taken at Georgian College: Pre-health Sciences*
- Equivalent courses in English and biology taken through secondary school or Independent Learning Centres (at the general, advanced, college or university level)
- Academic and Career Entrance Certificate (ACE) program with communications and biology
- Mature student testing in English and testing/challenge exam in biology that meets the minimum standards for admission (available through most testing services)*
- Ontario High School Equivalency Certificate (GED) plus biology.
- English, Literature or Communication credit courses and most biology credit courses from accredited colleges/universities
- If home schooled, applicants can write the mature student testing in English and testing/challenge exam in biology that meets the minimum standards for admission (available through testing services)*
* available from Georgian College. For a complete listing please contact the Office of the Registrar.
Please note that this is a highly competitive program. Recommended minimum grade in required subjects is 70%.
- VETA1002 Front Office and Reception 1
- VETA1003 Clinical Procedures 1
- VETA1004 Laboratory Procedures/Imaging
- VETA1005 Pharmacology for Veterinary Assistants
- VETA1006 Front Office and Reception 2
- VETA1007 Clinical Procedures 2
- VETA1008 Surgical Assisting
- VETA1009 Kennel and Hospital Duty
- VETA1010 Success in Veterinary Assistant and Beyond
- VETA1011 Basic Veterinary Anatomy and Physiology
- VETA1012 Veterinary Medical Terminology