Welcome to Georgian!
We know there’s a lot to think about when you’re a new student. So we decided to gather up all this information in one place to help you navigate through fee payments, registering for courses, and more!
This Guide for New Students page is your one-stop-shop for all the important information you’ll need as you start your first semester here.
Can’t find something? Still need an answer?
Contact us, we’re here to help!
Check out Georgian's important dates
- Pay attention to deadlines – don’t risk losing your spot in the program, not being able to register for courses or having to pay a late fee by missing a payment deadline
- Georgian has an events calendar so you can keep track of college events, speakers and exhibits. Your student council (Georgian College Students’ Association or GCSA) also has an events calendar so you don’t miss OTHER important dates like parties, pub nights and shows. Check them out!
Pay your tuition
Good to know
- There is a deadline for paying your deposit and another for paying your tuition fees
- Full fees are due by the second day of term
- More than $1 million is raised annually at Georgian specifically for awards and scholarships – this money is for you, take advantage of it!
Register for your courses
You’ll need your student number to log in to Banner. If you’re a full-time student, your student number is located on your acknowledgement letter (the letter you received from us acknowledging your application). If you can’t locate it, you can email us with your full information (full date of birth, address, program name) and we’ll email you your student number.
Apply for financial assistance
- Financial Aid staff are here to help with information about OSAP – contact Financial Aid if you have questions
- Read through the FAQs on the Financial Aid page
- Apply for OSAP at least eight weeks prior to the start of your academic year
Get your Georgian student card
In the old days, you had to come in and stand in line to have your photo taken for your student card. Now if you are a first time card holder, you can submit your photo online!
ONEcard is the official Georgian identification card. Its features extend far beyond a simple ID – it’s your student card, library card, athletic centre card, and now a convenient payment for select campus vendors – all in one!
Try to get your student card early so you can cross it off your list of things to do.
Visit GeorgianCollege.ca/ONEcard for all the details.
Purchase your textbooks and parking card
Prepare for your placement and internship
Good to know
Some programs have specific requirements like immunizations or police checks. Make sure you know what is required for your program and if you don’t understand the requirement, contact the program co-ordinator (listed on the Contact tab of your specific program page on the website)
Get to know Georgian systems
Chances are you’re pretty good with technology but it’s still a good idea to get to know our systems before you get too busy with classes, assignments and, well, fun!
- Your student email account is important because it’s the way we will communicate with you – make sure you check it often
- Microsoft Office 365 is Georgian’s student email system
- Your Georgian student email address is: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Your username is: email@example.com
- Your password is: your six-character date of birth YYMMDD
- Banner is our student information system – it contains your records, contact information and, once you register for your courses, your timetable. You’ll use it the whole time you’re a student here.
- Blackboard allows you to communicate with your teachers and classmates online. You’ll be able to submit assignments, work on group projects and receive important information. And now there’s even a free Blackboard mobile app, how great is that!
- Orbis will also become a big part of your life while you’re a student here. You’ll use it to find co-op, internship, part-time, contract, on-campus and graduate jobs.
Student portal: Your one-stop shop
Find a place to live
Get to know your campus
- There’s so much to do when you’re a new student, you probably don’t know where to begin! Why not start with a Get Connected event? You’ll be able to get some things done, meet some people and have some fun, before the September rush.
- We can’t say enough how important it is to go to Orientation. Why? Because it’s a proven fact that students who attend orientation feel more connected and comfortable on campus, and get a better start. Need we say more?
- Afraid you’ll get lost on campus? No problem. We offer campus tours so you can get to know your way around.
- And don’t forget, our First Year Experience team is always standing by to help you out if you need anything.
- The fitness centres at the Barrie, Orillia and Owen Sound campuses are great spaces to work out. Fitness memberships for full-time students are included in your tuition.
- Our varsity athletes compete against colleges in the Ontario Colleges Athletic Association (OCAA) and the Canadian Collegiate Athletic Association (CCAA). Learn about upcoming tryouts.
- You can choose from a variety of food and beverage options onsite. For added convenience of food at many locations, load money on your Georgian ONEcard.