For job seekers

Employe Centre Job Seeker

Our Career and Employment Community Service Centres offer a variety of resources to assist you in successfully reconnecting with the labour market. An employment services consultant can help you create a plan of action to achieve individual career and employment goals through a series of individual appointments and recommended action steps that may include:

  • Focusing your job search
  • Resumé and cover letter development
  • Career planning
  • Apprenticeship
  • Effective job searching tips
  • Improving your interview skills
  • Educational and training options
  • Referral to government programs
  • Employment Connections for Newcomer Youth – connecting and supporting newcomer youth in their Canadian employment experience

Some of the resources available to you are:

  • Resumé and cover letter development
  • Access to local job postings
  • Access to a variety of career development-related workshops
  • Computers with high speed internet access

Contact us to learn more about which services are right for you.

Our resource and information centres are staffed by employment professionals. We will ask you questions regarding your current job search activity and direct you to the resources and information that work for you, based on your needs and goals. Please see the schedule of workshops below. Just click on a workshop to see a complete description.

Loading job listings...

What is an apprenticeship?

Apprenticeship combines on-the-job training under the supervision of a qualified tradesperson and classroom training at a training establishment. About 80 per cent of an apprentice’s training takes place on the job. The other 20 per cent involves technical training usually provided at or through a post-secondary training establishment, such as a college or union-approved training facility.

What’s in it for me?

  • An opportunity to learn and build skills
  • Certification in a trade, many of which are in very high demand
  • Flexible schedule for work and training
  • An opportunity to earn while you learn

Apprenticeship scholarship

The apprenticeship scholarship provides $1,000 to support individuals who require upgrading to meet the academic eligibility requirements for apprenticeship training in their chosen trade. An Employment Services consultant can assist you in assessing your eligibility.

Contact us today to schedule an appointment.

Apprenticeship resources

Learn more about apprenticeship training at Georgian.

Second Career

Second Career is an Ontario government program that helps laid-off workers get the skills training they need for high demand jobs in their communities. Second Career helps Ontarians get the funding for the education or training required to get a better job. Learn more about Second Career.

Youth Job Connection  

This service provides youth aged 15-29 who need support for job-readiness and job placement. Participants will gain the skills for permanent work positions through job focused workshops while earning minimum wage.

Employers who participate in this program can receive up to $5,800 in hiring incentives and supports.  Youth participants and employers are supported throughout the placement duration to ensure a smooth transition to the workplace.

Call 519.942.9986, ext. 5641 to register for the next Youth Job Connection session.

Step Up (Orangeville location)

The Step Up program assists youth under 30, to develop life and employability skills required to obtain and maintain employment.

  • Earn while you learn and a bonus upon completion
  • Explore your career choices
  • Learn problem-solving, life skills and personal management
  • Connect with local employers and find out how to get hired

Call 519.942.9986, ext. 5641 to register for the next information session.

Georgian College offers a number of ways for you to get the credits you need to continue your education or improve your career. Academic and Career Preparation is flexible, supportive and personalized to suit your needs.

Barrie

Georgian College Career and Employment Community Services 48 Collier St. Barrie, ON L4M 1G8 705.722.1505

Regular hours of operation: Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Tuesdays – open late to 6 p.m.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Send us an email Find us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter

Orangeville

Georgian College Career and Employment Community Services, Orangeville Edelbrock Centre 30 Centre St. Orangeville, ON L9W 2X1 519.942.9986, ext. 5641

Regular hours of operation: Monday to Friday, 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Send us an email Find us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter

Orillia

Georgian College Career and Employment Community Services, Orillia Campus 825 Memorial Ave., Room A201 Orillia, ON L3V 6S2 705.329.3102

Regular hours of operation: Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Open late on Tuesdays – 8:30 a.m. to 6 p.m.

 

 

 

 

 

Send us an email Find us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter