The Dental Assisting program will prepare a student to assume a position as a dental assistant, capable of working interdependently and collaboratively with health professionals in a variety of practice settings. Corresponding with the level of study and in accordance with current legislation, the graduate of this program will perform a variety of roles including clinical, education, health promotion, business administration and laboratory assistant consistent with national standards.
The graduate of this program will be eligible to write the National Dental Assistants Board Exam (NDAEB). The graduate is eligible for certification by the Ontario Dental Assistants Association (ODAA). To be certified by the Canadian Dental Assistants Association (CDAA) the graduate must have successfully completed the NDAEB. This allows the graduate to practice as a Level II Dental Assistant.
OSSD or equivalent with
- Grade 12 English (C or U)
- Grade 11 Chemistry (U) or Grade 12 Chemistry (C or U)
- Grade 11 or 12 Biology (C or U)
You must meet ONE of the following requirements to be eligible for admission to these programs:
Secondary school applicants:
- OSS curriculum: OSSD or equivalent with Grade 12 English (C) or (U) (ENG4C, ENG4U); plus Grade 12 Chemistry College or Grade 11 or 12 University Chemistry (SCH4C, SCH4U, SCH3U); plus any Grade 11 or 12 College or University Biology (SB13C, SB13U or SB14U). Computer skills and knowledge of basic math calculations are highly recommended.
Non-Secondary school applicants (19 years or older):
- Any credit Communication course and most credit biology and chemistry courses taken at Georgian College
- College preparatory programs including those taken at Georgian College: Pre-health Sciences*
- Equivalent courses in English, biology and chemistry taken through secondary school or Independent Learning Centres (at the general, advanced, college or university level)
- Academic and Career Entrance Certificate (ACE) program with communications and biology and chemistry
- Mature student testing in English and testing/challenge exam in biology and chemistry that meets the minimum standards for admission (available through most testing services)*
- Ontario High School Equivalency Certificate (GED) plus biology and chemistry
- English, Literature or Communication credit courses and most biology and chemistry credit courses from accredited colleges/universities
- If home schooled, applicants can write the mature student testing in English and testing/challenge exam in biology and chemistry that meets the minimum standards for admission (available through testing services)*
* available from Georgian College. For a complete listing please contact the Office of the Registrar.
- DENT1026 Clinical Support Procedures
- DENT1027 Orofacial Anatomy
- DENT1028 Dental Office Management
- DENT1029 Dental Health Education
- DENT1030 Applied Sciences for Dental Assisting
- DENT1033 Clinical Assisting - Restorative and Specialties
- DENT1034 Clinical Consolidation
- DENT1036 Community Oral Health
- BIOL1014 The Essential Body
- DENT1041 Clinical Assisting - Operative Theory and Lab - Restorative
- DENT1042 Dental Radiography
- DENT1043 Intraoral Preventive Procedures and Practicum
Communications CourseTo be selected at time of registration from the College list, as determined by testing.
General Education CourseTo be selected from College list
- DENT1035 Field Placement - Dental Assistant