In this graduate level program, students learn to provide a client-centred and client-driven continuum of treatment for individuals with addiction problems. With a solid framework of individual and group counselling skills, the students study individual, gender and societal considerations and the resulting treatment implications. They practise motivational interviewing techniques and learn the importance of matching client needs with intervention options. In addition, students reconstruct education and prevention strategies and design, facilitate and evaluate such tools.
- Post-secondary diploma, or degree, with a specialty in human, health or social sciences
Applicants must meet ONE of the following requirements to be eligible for admission to this program:
- College diploma, or university degree, with a specialty in human, health or social sciences
Applicants will be selected based on their academic grades. An overall minimum average of 65%, C+ or GPA of 2.5 is recommended in post-secondary studies. Resume and letter of intent (upon request).
Placement agencies require an up-to-date clear criminal reference check and vulnerable sector check prior to going out on placement. Students should obtain their criminal reference three months prior to placement; checks conducted earlier may not be considered current. As some jurisdictions require longer lead-time for processing, please check with the program coordinator to ensure you allow for sufficient turn-around time. It is the student's responsibility to provide the completed document prior to placement start.
NOTE: A record of criminal offences, for which a pardon has not been granted, may prevent students from completing their placements, thereby affecting their ability to graduate.
View the Addictions:Treatment & Preven articulations on the Credit Transfer Centre page.
- ADCT1000 Intro to Counselling: Motivate
- ADCT1001 Group Counselling:Dynam/Proc
- ADCT1002 Treatment Modalities in Addictions
- ADCT1005 Practitioner Skills Development
- ADCT1012 Clinical Apps of Motivat Couns
- ADCT1014 Intro and Issues in Addictions
- ADCT1015 Concepts of Chem Dependency
- ADCT1016 Gender Consid in Treatment
- ADCT1017 Prevention and Education in Addictions
- ADCT1018 Selected Populations
- ADCT1019 Addictions and Mental Health
- ADCT1020 Gambling and Other Behavioural Dependencies
- ADCT1021 Addictions Consolidation