|Fall 2017||Owen Sound, Barrie|
|Winter 2018||Owen Sound, Orangeville, Barrie|
The Georgian College Nursing Program philosophy and curriculum incorporate and utilize the concepts of caring as the basis of nursing practice. The students and faculty work together to explore nursing knowledge and caring theory. In the classroom, students in collaborative groups, work through learning activities and focus on the lived experiences of individuals, families, and groups. Knowledge from the program courses is integrated into the care of clients, families, and groups in a variety of settings.
In order to provide quality practicum placements, students will be placed in a variety of agencies in the region serviced by the campus. Students are required to provide their own transportation.
The Practical Nursing program at Georgian College is currently approved (Category 1, the highest ranking) by the College of Nurses of Ontario. Current graduates of this program are eligible to apply for registration as Registered Practical Nurses in Ontario.
OSSD or equivalent with
- Grade 12 English (C or U)
- Grade 12 Mathematics (C or U)
- Grade 11 or 12 Biology (C or U)
- Grade 12 (C) or Grade 11 or 12 (U) Chemistry OR Grade 12 (C) or Grade 11 or 12 (U) Physics
You must meet ONE of the following requirements to be eligible for admission to these programs:
Secondary school applicants:
- OSS Curriculum: OSSD or equivalent with Grade 12 English (C), or (U), (ENG4C, ENG4U); plus any Grade 12 College Mathematics (MAP4C or MCT4C) or any Grade 12 University Mathematics; plus Grade 11 College or Grade 11 or 12 University Biology (SBI3C, SBI3U, SBI4U); plus Grade 12 College or Grade 11 or 12 University Chemistry (SCH4C, SCH4U, SCH3U) OR Grade 12 College or Grade 11 or 12 University Physics (SPH3U, SPH4C, SPH4U)
Non-Secondary school applicants (19 years or older):
- Any credit Communication course and most credit mathematics, and biology and chemistry or physics courses taken at Georgian College
- College preparatory programs including those taken at Georgian College: Pre-health Sciences*
- Equivalent courses in English and mathematics, and biology and chemistry or physics taken through secondary school or Independent Learning Centres (at the general, advanced, college or university level)
- Academic and Career Entrance Certificate (ACE) program with communications and mathematics, and biology and chemistry or physics
- Mature student testing in English and mathematics, and testing/challenge exam in biology and chemistry or physics that meets the minimum standards for admission (available through most testing services)*
- Ontario High School Equivalency Certificate (GED) plus biology and chemistry or physics
- English, Literature or Communication and mathematics credit courses and most biology and chemistry or physics credit courses from accredited colleges/universities
- If home schooled, applicants can write the mature student testing in English and mathematics, and testing/challenge exam in biology and chemistry or physics that meets the minimum standards for admission (available through testing services)*
* available from Georgian College. For a complete listing please contact the Office of the Registrar.
Please note that this is a highly competitive program. Recommended minimum grade in required courses is 75%.
Applicants will be assessed and ranked based on academic grades. A minimum grade of 75% in each pre-requisite subject is recommended.
View the Practical Nursing (2.5 yr dip) articulations on the Credit Transfer Centre page.
- BIOL1001 Anatomy and Physiology Introduction
- NRSG1004 Health and Healing
- NRSG1005 Development of Self as Nurse
- NRSG1006 Health and Healing:Life Trans
- BIOL1002 Anatomy and Physiology - Advanced
- NRSG2000 Development of Profess. Self
- NRSG2001 P.N. Health and Healing: Medical-Surgical Theory
- NRSG2002 Processes of Human Disease: Introductory Concepts
- NRSG2006 Dev of Nurse within Profession
- NRSG2007 PN Health and Healing: Mental Health and Maternal Child Theory
- NRSG2008 Proc of Human Disease-Adv.Con.
- NRSG2009 Nursing in the Community
- NRSG2003 Health Assessment
- NRSG1015 NPP: Life Transition Agency
- NRSG2005 PN Professional Practice: Mental Health and Maternal Child Clinical
- NRSG1013 Math for Meds
- NRSG1014 Math/Pharmacology
- NRSG2004 P.N. Professional Practice: Medical-Surgical Clinical
- NRSG2010 Practical Nursing Praxis
- NRSG1019 Nursing Professional Practice: Life Transition Community
- NRSG1022 Nursing Professional Practice: Advanced Healing Arts
- NRSG1023 Nursing Professional Practice: Community Experience
- NRSG1024 Nursing Professional Practice: Agency Experience
- NRSG1025 Nursing Professional Practice: Fundamental Healing Arts