|Fall 2018||Owen Sound, Barrie|
This program is designed to prepare graduates for employment as Law Clerks/Legal Assistants who are able to do work independently under the general supervision of a lawyer. Graduates are able to prepare wills, real estate transactions, court reports, affidavits, research records, court files and other legal documents. Law Clerks may appear before administrative tribunals and certain courts. This program may provide preparation for writing the Institute of Law Clerks of Ontario (ILCO) examinations in Estates Law, Real Estate Law, Corporate Law and Civil Litigation.
Why study Law Clerk at Georgian College?
Our Law Clerk program gives you the chance to build a solid foundation of skills in preparation for employment as a law clerk/legal assistant.
Our faculty members bring experience and education into the classroom from both the corporate and legal world.
The semester four field placement will give you some solid work experience to put on your resumé.
Our graduates are working in legal offices (specialized and general practices), government offices (municipal, provincial, federal, boards/tribunals, court/registry, and legal aid) and financial institutions, corporations and insurance companies.
OSSD or equivalent with
- Grade 12 English (C or U)
You must meet ONE of the following requirements to be eligible for admission to these programs:
Secondary school applicants:
- OSS curriculum: OSSD or equivalent, with Grade 12 English (C) or (U) (ENG4C, ENG4U) Also recommended: any Grade 12 College Mathematics (MAP4C or MCT4C), or any Grade 12 University Mathematics
Non-Secondary school applicants (19 years or older):
- Any credit Communication course taken at Georgian College
- College preparatory programs including those taken at Georgian College: Business Foundations and General Arts and Science*
- Equivalent courses in English taken through secondary school or Independent Learning Centres (at the general, advanced, college or university level)
- Academic and Career Entrance Certificate (ACE) program with communications
- Mature student testing in English that meets the minimum standards for admission (available through most testing services)*
- Ontario High School Equivalency Certificate (GED)
- English, Literature or Communication credit courses from accredited colleges/universities
Home school applicants:
- Applicants can write the mature student testing in English that meets the minimum standards for admission (available through testing services)*
* available from Georgian College. For a complete listing please contact the Office of the Registrar.
View the Law Clerk articulations on the Credit Transfer Centre page.
- COMP1012 Introduction to Business Documentation
- COMP1048 Introduction to Keyboarding
- LAWS1006 Criminal Law
- LAWS1014 Family Law 1
- LAWS2032 Estates Law
- OFAD1001 Office Procedures and Strategies
- OFAD1004 Intro to Legal Office Admin
- OFAD2014 Bookkeeping for the Office Professional
- REAS1001 Foundations of Legal Research
- COMP1003 Microcomputer Applications
- LAWS2039 Family Law 2
- LAWS2040 Corporate and Commercial Law 1
- LAWS2041 Corporate and Commercial Law 2
- LAWS2042 Civil Litigation 1
- LAWS2043 Civil Litigation 2
- LAWS2044 Real Estate Law 1
- LAWS2045 Real Estate Law 2
- LAWS2046 Law of Torts and Contracts
- LAWS1015 Debtor and Creditor/Landlord and Tenant Law
Communications CoursesTo be selected at time of registration from the College list, as determined by testing.
General Education CoursesTo be selected from College list
- LAWS2037 Law Clerk Field Training