Art and Design Fundamentals is a one-year certificate program that provides a solid foundation in art and design. It also provides the opportunity for students to assess which area of the visual arts is most appropriate to their individual abilities. Effective research, problem-solving, and conceptualization skills are developed to nurture talents and prepare students for future studies in art and design. The range of courses provides an opportunity to learn new skills and refine existing skills. The portfolio developed in this program will be valuable when applying to specialized art or design programs.
OSSD or equivalent with
- Grade 12 English (C or U)
You must meet ONE of the following requirements to be eligible for admission to these programs:
Secondary school applicants:
- OSS curriculum: OSSD or equivalent, with Grade 12 English (C) or (U) (ENG4C, ENG4U)
Non-Secondary school applicants (19 years or older):
- Any credit Communication course taken at Georgian College
- Equivalent courses in English taken through secondary school or Independent Learning Centres (at the general, advanced, college or university level)
- Academic and Career Entrance Certificate (ACE) program with communications
- Mature student testing in English that meets the minimum standards for admission (available through most testing services)*
- Ontario High School Equivalency Certificate (GED)
- English, Literature or Communication credit courses from accredited colleges/universities
Home school applicants:
- Applicants can write the mature student testing in English that meets the minimum standards for admission (available through testing services)*
* available from Georgian College. For a complete listing please contact the Office of the Registrar.
View the Art & Design Fundamentals articulations on the Credit Transfer Centre page.
- APDE1000 Ideas and Imagery
- APDE1001 Design Fundamentals
- APDE1002 Colour and Design
- DRWG1004 Fundamentals of Drawing
- HSTY1000 Introduction to Western Art History