Make sure you’re eligible for your co-op term
September 12, 2014

Getting your SIN number

Service Canada will be at Georgian’s Barrie Campus processing Social Insurance Numbers (SIN) for International Students on the following dates:

  • Sept. 22, 9:30 a.m. to 3:50 p.m. – M134
  • Sept. 23, 9 a.m. to 3:50 p.m. – M134
  • Sept. 25, 9 a.m. to 3: 50 p.m. – E209
  • Sept. 26, 9 a.m. to 3:50 p.m. – M339

To book your appointment, visit the International Centre and sign up now. You must have an appointment to be able to process your SIN number. You’ll also need:

  • Your passport, study permit and Co-op work permit OR
  • Your passport, and a study permit that indicates that you are authorized to work off campus 20 hours per week OR
  • Your passport, study permit and a confirmation letter from CIC (Citizenship and Immigration Canada) that indicates that you are eligible to work off campus 20 hours per week.

If you don’t have a co-op work permit; study permit that indicates you can work off campus 20 hours per week; or a confirmation letter to work off campus from CIC, you can apply for a CIC confirmation letter online. To do that you’ll need an enrollment letter from Georgian’s Office of the Registrar.

You can request that letter from the Registrar’s Office by completing and submitting the International Request for Letter form. You can get help filling out this form during one of our information and processing workshops offered through the International Centre. They take place:

  • Mondays, noon to 2 p.m. in Bomputer Lab H116
  • Fridays, 10 a.m. to noon in Computer Lab B215

Co-op work permits

International students need a co-op work permit to work off campus for Georgian co-ops. You can’t use the off-campus 20 hours per week permit, because co-op is full-time work and requires a special co-op work permit.

It’s up to you to apply for your co-op work permit. Your employer will ask for this work permit before you begin your co-op. Be sure to apply four months before your co-op semester begins.

Study permits

As of June 1, 2014, all study permit holders in Canada will need to actively pursue studies. This means:

  • If you hold a study permit, you must remain enrolled and make reasonable and timely progress towards completing your program
  • Failing to do so could lead to your removal from Canada

Georgian will report to CIC on your continued enrolment and academic status. You may also be asked by an immigration officer to provide evidence of your continued enrolment and academic status.

Your study and work authorization is your responsibility. The CIC website is the official source for information regarding study and work.

Contact us

If you need help, visit the International Centre or contact