Health and dental plans were approved by student referendum and as a result are now a requirement of your enrolment at Georgian College through your membership in the Georgian College Students’ Association (GCSA). The plans provide protection and security for eligible students, minimizing the effects of injury or ailments. The cost of the plans is included in your institutional fees provided you meet the eligibility enrolment criteria.
- you are registered as a full-time student with a minimum of four courses per term
- you meet the full-time criteria for your program
- you are residing in Canada
- you are under the age of 70
- students in apprenticeship programs are insured against accidental benefits only (see accident benefit brochure)
- students with a disability:
- students taking a part-time course load but are considered full-time by the institution may be eligible to opt in to the student health and dental plans – please contact the GCSA Student Benefits Plan office for further details prior to the applicable deadline for your semester period of enrolment
If you are unsure about whether or not you are eligible for the student health and dental plans, please contact a Benefits Plan office prior to any applicable deadlines.
- Fall 2018: $220 (for 12-month coverage period)
- Winter 2019: $179.38 (for eight-month coverage period)*
- Summer 2019: $138.75 (for four-month coverage period)
*Returning fall co-op students and other eligible programs in the winter semester will be assessed $220 (as the coverage started in the fall).
- download your benefit card – you may print or email the card (the card will NOT be mailed)
- new eligible students will be added to the plan in the first 45 to 60 days of the semester (approximate) – please keep your receipts for eligible expenses incurred during this time period for submission to the insurance carrier upon completion of the enrolment process
- returning eligible students may continue to access the plan without disruption by using their benefit card or by submitting reimbursement claims directly to the insurance carrier
- simply present your benefits card at eligible services and ask if they can bill directly to the insurance company – if they are unable to, pay out of pocket and submit eligible receipts online for reimbursement at www.mystudentplan.ca/georgian
- should you choose to waive your student coverage, you can do so online by completing the one-time online opt-out
- to opt out, please see instructions
- sorry, we cannot make exceptions or extensions for students who fail to complete the online opt-out prior to the application deadline
- no – your opt-out will carry forward as long as you haven’t had any interruptions in your full-time academics or missed co-op registrations on Banner
- this is a one-time opt-out
- should you choose to opt out of the plan(s), your opt-out information will carry forward as long as you remain an eligible student at Georgian College
- you may confirm your opt-out status prior to the applicable deadline by contacting your campus Benefits Plan office
- yes – you have one opportunity each year to purchase family coverage for your spouse and/or dependent(s) by completing the online family add-on application form and paying the family coverage fee
- applicable deadline:
- September intake deadline is Sept. 30
- October returning co-op student deadline is Oct. 30
- January intake deadline is Jan. 30
- May intake deadline is May 30
Please contact a Benefits Plan office for fees.
- all waivers and family add-on application forms must be received by the applicable deadline. Sorry, we cannot make exceptions.
Georgian FoodLocker on-campus food bank
Operated by the Georgian College Students’ Association (GCSA), the Georgian FoodLocker is a confidential, emergency on-campus food bank for Georgian College students in need.
- sign-up anonymously online
- pick-up your grocery bag in one of our many lockers
- receive non-perishable food, hygiene items and sometimes fresh fruits and veggies!
- requests can be made every two weeks
Our mission is to provide temporary relief to students who require food assistance while providing opportunities for food security education.
- Provide temporary relief to students who require food assistance.
- Understand the barriers to food security that have necessitated students’ use of the Georgian FoodLocker.
- Promote students’ food literacy skills; understanding the impact of food on health, and learning how to grow and prepare healthy, safe and nutritious food.
- Recommend actions the college can take to increase students’ food security.
Food for thought – seriously, your brain needs it!
Please note: requests are submitted through the Student Portal
How can I donate?
Donations of non-perishable food items and hygiene products can be dropped off at the library or GCSA office. Financial donations can be dropped off at the GCSA office directly. Some of our most-needed foods include:
- canned vegetables
- canned fruit/fruit cups
- pasta and pasta sauce
- cans of soup
- cans of beans (any kind)
- canned tuna, ham, chicken or turkey
If you have any questions about the FoodLocker program, please contact your campus rep below:
- Barrie Campus – FoodLocker@georgiancollege.ca
- Orillia Campus – Food4U@georgiancollege.ca
- Owen Sound Campus – OSFoodLocker@georgiancollege.ca
- South Georgian Bay Campus – CWFoodLocker@georgiancollege.ca
- Muskoka – MKFoodLocker@georgiancollege.ca
- Midland – MDFoodLocker@georgiancollege.ca
- Orangeville – OVFoodLocker@georgiancollege.ca
More on-campus support
For further help with food security, please refer to the following resources on-campus:
Where else can I get support?
In addition to the FoodLocker program, there are many local services in your area to support you.
Click here for a comprehensive list.
Lassman Studios will be on-campus at the end of the semester to take graduation photos. Capture your great achievement for a lifetime of memories!
Your sitting includes:
- Minimum of 9 unique poses from which you can view & order online
- Both traditional grad portraits as well as some fun style shots, if desired
- Friends or family; please bring them to your sitting
- Props including: gowns, roses, mortarboard, graduating hoods, etc.
- Over 25 different backgrounds to choose from or upload your own!
Don’t miss the opportunity for professional graduation portraits!
Visit lassmanstudios.com and enter the School ID: “georgian” to view the calendar and book!