The Georgian College Students’ Association (GCSA) was established in 1969 to give students a voice on campus. Since then, it has grown to encompass such services as:
- On-campus dining
- Health and dental benefits
- On-campus food banks
GCSA is made up of students elected by the student body on every Georgian campus and is supported by staff members dedicated to enhancing the student experience.
GCSA collects an activity fee through ancillary fees that help provide funding for clubs, services, co-curricular record mini-grants, student awards, professional development opportunities, events and activities.
How to reach us
Engage. Empower. Collaborate.
The Barrie Campus Georgian College Students’ Association (GCSA) will be a recognized and engaged executive council that promotes the rights of students, heightens student engagement, and enhances the quality of student life. It will prepare confident leaders of tomorrow, while respecting the diversity and strength of all, and continuously assess, adapt and grow to fit the needs of an increasingly diverse student body.
- To advance the general welfare of all Georgian College students, and:
- Serve as a resource for students
- Serve as a resource for faculty and staff
- Act as liaisons to and from the Student Body and the college administration
- Remain a major source of information to and from the Student Body
- Recruit and develop student leaders within a professional culture to benefit the larger community
- Engage in purposeful community service
Goals and strategies
Act as an advocate for all students
- Each VP will explore a substantial issue each semester
- Fill all vacant positions in a timely manner
- Maintain 100 per cent occupancy of student representative seats on all relevant college committees
To broaden and strengthen the visibility of the GCSA
- Increase the reach metrics of our social media presence by 10 per cent
- Actively participate in all college-wide events (e.g., Orientation, Open House, etc.)
- Renovate the GSCA office so that it is reflective of the college’s commitment to student advocacy
- Ensure that administrative decision-making is transparent, inclusive and accessible to all Georgian College stakeholders by encouraging students to attend weekly council meetings, posting minutes and budgets online, etc.
To collaborate with the campus and greater community
- Create ONE student events calendar by planning and marketing events in partnership with First Year Experience, the international department and Library and Academic Success
- Develop an active partnership with at least three new community sponsors and partners by 2017
- Foster a lifelong connection with Georgian College alumni to mobilize their many talents and assets in support of advancing Georgian’s overall mission
To facilitate student leadership development opportunities
- Continue to offer at least two college-wide student leadership conferences per year
- Partner with new student advisors to identify, connect and engage new student leaders
- Embed intentional leadership development outcomes in all Student Executive Council conferences
- Increase collaboration with academic areas to promote campus-wide co-curricular learning and the co-curricular record (CCR)
To improve accessibility and inclusiveness
- Offer students a diverse and balanced offering of social events, including events that promote:
- Student engagement
- Social integration
- Social and cultural awareness
- Grizzly pride and spirit
- Student leadership
- Holistic health promotion
- Create and post an equity, accessibility and land acknowledgement statement on the GCSA website
- Secure at least one perishable food source for the Food Locker by the end of the 2017 academic year
- Conduct an annual accessibility assessment of GCSA practices and facilities
To ensure wise stewardship of resources
- Partner with other departments (First Year Experience and Athletics) to share costs for related events
- Evaluate all GCSA events to ensure they are meeting the needs of Georgian College students
- Strike an SEC working group committee to review the possibility/feasibility of hosting at least two of the three SEC conferences at the Barrie Campus
The Georgian College Students’ Association (GCSA) recognizes those who get involved and make our school a better place. Every year, the GCSA sponsors awards to deserving students.
Student Leadership Award #25314
Presented to students who have demonstrated leadership skills, are in good academic standing, and have completed at least one successful academic semester. Applicants must also demonstrate one of the following:
- Are involved in campus life – through GCSA, varsity, SWAT, orientation or extracurricular activities
- Represents Georgian College or have contributed to or enhanced student life
- How they meet the criteria in their cover letter
- That they are a permanent resident of Ontario and have financial need
Award value is $1,000.
- Appreciation awards
- Co-curricular mini grant program
- International student leadership award
- Student leadership award
If you want to be the recipient of one of these awards, just get involved with the GCSA – it’s easy, come in and ask us how!
You can also apply for the Brian Tamblyn Scholarship, which is sponsored by the GCSA.
Check out the awards and scholarships page – there are more than 750 to choose from!
The Georgian College Students’ Association (GCSA) is governed by two documents – the GCSA Constitution and GCSA bylaws. All meetings are recorded.
The GCSA Constitution is the document put together by the Students’ Executive Council (the Barrie, Orillia and Owen Sound Georgian College Students’ Association) to provide guidelines for all student governance at Georgian College.
Bylaws govern the Barrie Campus GCSA – each Georgian campus has specific bylaws outlining the GCSA’s job description, as well as policies and procedures.
The GCSA holds weekly meetings during the fall and winter semesters to discuss student affairs; these meetings are open to anyone who wishes to sit in. Click on the links below if you missed a meeting or want to read our minutes:
- Oct. 17, 2017
- Oct. 3, 2017
- Sept. 26, 2017
- Sept. 19, 2017
- Sept. 12, 2017
- Aug. 10, 2017
- Aug. 3, 2017
- July 27, 2017
- July 20, 2017
- July 13, 2017
- July 6, 2017
- June 22, 2017
- June 15, 2017
- June 1, 2017
- May 25, 2017
- May 18, 2017
- May 11, 2017
- March 6, 2017
- March 2, 2017
- Feb. 13, 2017
- Jan. 9, 2017
- Jan. 23, 2017
- Jan. 30, 2017
Proposed budget for 2017-2018
Georgian College acknowledges that all campuses are situated on the traditional land of the Anishnaabeg people. The Anishnaabeg include the Ojibwe, Odawa, and Pottawatomi nations, collectively known as the Three Fires Confederacy. Georgian College is dedicated to honouring Indigenous history and culture and committed to moving forward in the spirit of reconciliation and respect with all First Nation, Metis and Inuit people.
The Georgian College Students’ Association (GCSA) is the driving force behind student life at the Orillia Campus. There are six executive members who work together to make your time here as a student as awesome as possible!
Check out our website to see what we do, opportunities that are offered, or how you can get involved. We LOVE welcoming visitors, so drop by our office in Room B108 beside The Den Restaurant and Pub – we’re waiting for you at the top of the stairs!
Follow us on social media:
GCSA Orillia is committed to providing students with a variety of outside-the-classroom opportunities to learn, grow, have fun, make friends, network and build your resumé.
What we offer
- Intramural sports
- Road trips to sporting events
- Pub nights
- Live entertainment
- Fundraising campaigns
- Food Locker program (student food bank)
- Movie nights
- Student health and dental benefits
- Community events
- Tri-campus tournaments
- Diversity and mental health campaigns
- Charity fundraisers
- Student job opportunities
- Grad photos
- Clubs and associations
- And much more!
GCSA Orillia is elected each school year by the general student population. GCSA advocates to college management and federal and provincial government on behalf of our students to ensure that each student has representation.
Check out our EVENTS page to see upcoming GCSA events, visit the GET INVOLVED page to see how you can become active with GCSA. Under the BUSINESSES tab, you’ll find information about The Den Restaurant and Pub, the Fitness Centre, and Printing Services – all of these businesses are GCSA-owned and student-run.
We hope you have an AMAZING time at Georgian Orillia – we look forward to seeing you at our events and in the halls!
The Georgian College Students’ Association recognizes those who get involved and make our school a better place. Every year, GCSA holds an awards night – Dine and Bash – where we award students and staff the following awards:
- Volunteer of the Year
- Shiner of the Year (for Shinerama)
- Program of the Year
- Employee of the Year – The Den Restaurant and Pub
- Employee of the Year – Printing Services
- Employee of the Year – Fitness Centre
- Staff Appreciation Award
- Male Athlete of the Year
- Female Athlete of the Year
- Sportsman Like Award
- GCSA Director of the Year
- Student Life Award
- Shinerama Award
- President’s Trophy
- VIP Award
If you would like to be the recipient of one of these awards, just get involved with GCSA. It’s easy – come in and ask us how!
Also, as a member of the College Student Alliance (CSA), one $1,000 scholarship is available to students at our school. Details on this scholarship come out in October.
You can also apply for the Brian Tamblyn Scholarship, sponsored by GCSA.
Visit the award and scholarships page for details on Georgian’s more than 750 awards and scholarships!
The Georgian College Students’ Association (GCSA) is governed by two documents: the GCSA Constitution and GCSA bylaws.
The GCSA Constitution is the document put together by the Students’ Executive Council (Barrie, Orillia, and Owen Sound GCSAs and plus representatives from each of the other campuses) to provide guidelines for all student governance at Georgian College.
- Read the 2015 GCSA Constitution
Please email any comments or concerns to Mike Zecchino.
GCSA bylaws govern the Georgian College Students’ Association Orillia Campus. Each Georgian campus has its own set of bylaws. They outline the GCSA executive’s job description and procedure protocols.
- Read the GCSA bylaws 2013-2014
Georgian Life newsletter
Georgian Life is a student newsletter put together by Gail Hudson in Printing Services. It is your source for information on all GCSA events and initiatives. The newsletter is released regularly throughout the school year. For a copy, drop by Printing Services or the GCSA office.
GCSA holds weekly meetings during the fall and winter semesters to discuss student affairs. These meetings are open to anyone who wishes to sit in.
The Georgian College Students’ Association (GCSA) is the enthusiastic student government for student life at the Owen Sound Campus. Six executives and four directors work together to ensure your student career is as enjoyable and fun-filled as possible. Check out the rest of this website to see what we do, or drop by the GCSA office located outside the cafeteria.
Follow us on social media:
The GCSA works hard to provide Owen Sound Campus students with opportunities and various events to make the best of their time spent here, including:
- Themed pub nights and live entertainment featuring special guests
- Sports nights twice a week featuring different sports
- Tournaments – get a group together and compete for prizes!
Click on our EVENTS PAGE for more information.
Clubs and associations
If you enjoy being part of a club – or even want to become the president of your own – there are different clubs and associations you can join to get to know people who have the same interests as you. Take a look at our CLUBS AND ASSOCIATIONS page to see which clubs already exist, or to inquire about starting your own.
If you would like to get involved and give back to the community, there are numerous volunteer opportunities and ways to raise money for a wide variety of charities, giving you the chance to support something that touches your heart.
Work on campus
If you want to work for Georgian College in our Fitness Centre, TLC Lounge or TLC security, visit our GET INVOLVED page.
The GCSA is governed by two documents, the Constitution and the bylaws. All meetings are recorded.
The GCSA Constitution is the document put together by the Students’ Executive Council (Barrie, Orillia, and Owen Sound Georgian College Students’ Association) to provide guidelines for all student governance at Georgian College.
Please email any comments or concerns to Mike Zecchino.
The GCSA bylaws govern the GCSA, Owen Sound Campus. Each Georgian Campus has its own set of bylaws outlining GCSA job description and procedure protocols.
The GCSA holds weekly meetings during the fall and winter semesters to discuss student affairs. These meetings are open to any student who wishes to sit in.