In an effort to provide college operations as fully as possible, Georgian closure procedure has been changed to allow for the possibility of re-opening campuses that have closed earlier in the day due to weather or other emergency situations.
A campus may re-open if, for instance:
- weather has improved and parking lots are cleared and sanded
- hydro, heat or water has been interrupted but later restored
- other similar circumstances have been resolved and it’s safe and practical to re-open
If the college is considering re-opening a campus later in the day, this possibility will be noted when the closure is first announced.
It will then be the responsibility of students and staff to monitor the Georgian website, Blackboard and/or local news media to check whether classes and other operations resume.
If campuses are re-opened, students and staff are expected to attend.
Timing of closures and openings:
- Every effort will be made to make decisions on closing by 6 a.m. and to communicate this news beginning by 6:30 a.m. If a re-opening for noon or evening classes is being considered, this will be mentioned in the 6:30 a.m. message.
- For a noon opening, the decision will be made at 9:30 a.m. Communications will begin by 10 a.m.
- Decisions on evening classes will be made by 2:30 p.m. Communications will begin by 3 p.m.
- Decisions to close a campus may be made at any time depending on emergency situations and this will be communicated as quickly as possible by all available means.