Given the government’s announcement that effective 12:01 a.m. Saturday, all public health unit regions in Ontario will move into lockdown, we want you to know that in-person learning will continue as scheduled at all Georgian campuses. If your program is fully remote for winter semester, it will continue to be offered remotely. Our goal remains to complete the winter semester, for most programs, by April 23, as previously scheduled.
We’ve operated using grey-lockdown restrictions since the start of the winter semester and with few exceptions, didn’t change anything as our local regions moved between the various levels of the COVID-19 response framework. This includes maintaining a limit of 10 students per lab, except for exempted programs where the maximum number of students is 50.
What does this mean for you?
- If your program was an exception and had more than 10 students per lab, please check Blackboard prior to your class next week for instructions from your faculty.
- If you were scheduled to have an in-person, written exam, your exam will be moved to an online format. Please check Blackboard for more information in the coming days.
- Due to regulatory body requirements for written exams, the only exceptions to online exams are Marine Navigation and Marine Engineering in Owen Sound, and Ontario Fire Marshall exams for NFPA 1031 and NFPA 1035 courses. Check Blackboard for information on these written exams.
- If your winter semester program is scheduled to begin an in-person component, your faculty will release more information via Blackboard in the coming weeks.
- Library services at Barrie, Orillia and Owen Sound campuses will continue to operate through advance, online booking.
- All student services continue to be available remotely.
For anyone scheduled to be on-campus during summer term beginning May 17, we expect to proceed as planned, however we’ll continue to follow the government’s directives and provide updates closer to the start of the term.
Safety and wellness
All Georgian health and safety protocols continue to be in place and are expected to be followed while on-campus. They’ve served us well because you’ve embraced completing the COVID-19 screening app, wearing a mask while indoors, maintaining a safe distance from others, and following handwashing and lab protocols. Please remember Georgian has a number of resources to help you manage your mental health, should you require support. Visit the student or employee portals for more information.
Let’s finish winter semester strong!
Today’s announcement means that unfortunately we’re ending the winter semester the way we began it – in lockdown. However, it’s a necessary measure to help slow the transmission of this terrible virus. Thanks to your resiliency and adaptability, we’ll finish the semester strong and achieve necessary learning outcomes.