Helpful hints for tax season
March 30, 2021

The deadline for individuals to file their income tax is April 30. As a student, here are some resources to help you prepare your 2020 income tax return.

T2202 Tuition and Enrolment Certificate (formerly known as the T2202A)

Students who paid more than $100 in tuition fees for a qualifying educational program in 2020 will receive a Tuition and Enrolment Certificate (T2202). As of Feb. 28, you can retrieve your T2202 form from Banner.

If you need to update your social insurance number (SIN) in order to get your T2202 form, you can update it in Banner. Once your SIN has been updated, your tax receipt will be issued to your Banner account on the following Monday.

Please note, if you’re a former student and can no longer access Banner, or there is no receipt loaded in Banner, please email accounting for assistance.

T4A tax form

If you received an award, scholarship or bursary in 2020, you will receive a Pension and Other Income T4A form in the mail.

T4 tax form

If you were employed in 2020, including on paid co-ops, your employer(s) should provide you with a T4 Statement of Remuneration Paid form.

Canada Student Grants

If you received a Canada Student Grant in 2020, please log in to your National Student Loans Service Centre (NSLSC) account for any applicable tax slips.

International students

Are you an international student studying in Canada? You may have to file a Canadian income tax return. You must determine your residency status to know how you will be taxed in Canada.​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ Learn more on the student portal.

Georgian Tax Clinic

Please note the Georgian Tax Clinic regularly hosted by accounting students is not running this year due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

This information is not intended as taxation advice.

This article was originally published in March 2019. It was updated and re-shared in March 2021.