Brian Davenport of Owen Sound is the new Chair of the Georgian College Board of Governors. The board held its first meeting of the academic year on September 26.
Brian joined the board in September 2014 and served as Vice Chair for the past two years. He also made significant contributions to the board as Chair of the Finance and Audit Committee, Chair of the Board Nominations Committee, and as an active member of most other board committees.
“It is an honour and privilege to be a Georgian board member and to serve in this leadership role,” Brian says. “Our students, regardless of what program or career path they choose, are gaining the skills and mindset to be innovative thinkers and changemakers capable of stimulating economic growth and building strong, flourishing communities across our region and beyond.”
Brian is currently Vice President, Portfolio and Wealth Advisor at RBC Dominion Securities. He’s been with RBC since 1986, focusing on portfolio management for business owners, professionals and affluent families. Previously, he worked for TD Bank specializing in agricultural, commercial and corporate lending. He has also served as Chair of the Board of Directors for Grey Bruce Health Services. He is a graduate of Class 3 of the Advanced Agriculture Leadership Program.
“Brian brings with him extensive experience in board governance, seasoned change management skills and expertise helping organizations achieve their strategic plan,” says MaryLynn West-Moynes, Georgian’s President and CEO. “Under his thoughtful leadership, the board will continue to ensure we achieve our key priorities and live our mission every day to inspire innovation, transform lives and connect communities through the power of education.”
Also new community members to the board this year are Stephen Arsenault, Owner/Operator at One More Bid Auctions and Christopher Edwards, President/CEO of Weber Manufacturing Technologies Inc.
One third of Georgian’s Board of Governors membership is appointed through the public sector appointment process and two-thirds appointed directly by the board.
2019-20 Board of Governors
- Chair Brian Davenport (Owen Sound)
- Vice Chairs Marilynn Booth (Wasaga Beach) and Paul Larche (Barrie)
- Stephen Arsenault of Barrie
- Margot Ballagh of Barrie
- Hussam Beg, student representative
- Christopher Edwards of Midland
- Richard C. Gauthier of Sharon
- Eric Jerome, support staff representative
- David Johnson, administrative representative
- Ali Khonsari of Barrie
- Angela Lockridge, Secretary-Treasurer to the Board and Vice President, Student Success and Corporate Services
- Andrea Lovering, faculty representative
- Dianne Martin of Barrie
- Lyn McLeod of Alliston
- Angelo Orsi of Orillia
- Teresa Snelgrove of Shanty Bay
- Kevin Wassegijig of Wiikwemkoong
- MaryLynn West-Moynes, President and CEO, Georgian College